X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

desktop seems to stop working

Hello all,

I am very new to linux and kubuntu/ubuntu I have recieved both versions and as a test installed both versions. I have noticed the on both versions that the the desktop seems to stop working after letting the system sit idle for a time. I can't start any applications, open any menus or even shut off the system i tried CTL ALT BACKSPACE to restart the xserver but nothing happened I have had to use my reset button on the front of my PC to restart the OS and get it operational again. Please help if you can. I really like my new kubuntu and would like to keep it as my primary OS

Thank you

Re: desktop seems to stop working

Hi,

Have you had any issues with other operating systems installed on this computer? This sounds like more hardware related as the computer is non responsive after idling. I would try booting Kubuntu from the cd and let it idle and note if it becomes unresponsive. If so this would also lend to the hardware theory. I work in the support field and with issues like what you describe this could be a heat related issue as after the system is up for a period of time that it becomes unresponsive. You could also use the live cd and run the memory test to be sure this is not an issue. Good luck on finding the issues.

J
    8)

Comment

Agree with JamieC68 - this sounds like hardware. Have you attempted to reconnect your keyboard/mouse?
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

to jaime and toad,

TYVM (thank you very much) Changed a few things hardware wise and my new desktop runs GREAT!

Comment

Mind if I ask what you changed hardware-wise? I occasionally have the same problem on my laptop even though the logs show temp OK (ksensors often show the laptop running hot, but no hang). I've had this problem off and on since Hoary on this laptop, although Window$ runs OK.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X