X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade hangs while installing Gutsy Gibbon

Running AMD 64 on Efficient PC

As a workaround to another problem, I tried upgrading from Feisty to Gutsy. Unfortunately, after all the packages were downloaded and the installation started, it froze completely while installing Python. As nothing happened for over forty minutes, and I checked the logs to see what was happening (Ksysguard; Ksystemlog) - nothing I decided to halt the installation.

A bad idea, and my machine is now almost unusable, although I can log into Ubuntu on the command line.

Any ideas? Should I reinstall from a new DVD copy of Gutsy, and hope?

Re: Upgrade hangs while installing Gutsy Gibbon

I'd try to reconfigure all your packages from the command line. First I'd try
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install -f
    If that doesn't work I'd try
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure -a
    Neither of the above are going to destroy your system or do anything dangerous to it. The latter may involve some easy to answer questions.
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Slight problem about entering these bist of script, as I currently don't have a working letter 'i', spacebar and backspace key!

See

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090197.0

Text is

'Yesterday I updated from the Adept repositories, and keyboard stopped working properly. Can't type letter 'i', spacebar, backspace, indeed anything other than letters. PC effectively unusable now.

Most of the updates (about seven) seemed to relate to Battle for Wesnoth packages.'

Any ideas anyone?

Comment

Ideas? Apart from a clean gutsy install? Not really.
        Just a question: did you have automatix2 installed before you upgraded. If you did then that could at the "root" of your problem.

Another thought: You could try to access your xorg.conf file from a live cd and see if you can get your keyboard section back to what it was before. Maybe someone has an idea on what you could do from the live cd??

Sorry I can't be of more help. This is a very strange issue and beyond my expertise. Especially if you cannot type. >

Edit: when you go to /etc/X11 in your root partition you should see an old xorg.conf file. Try to open it as root and save it as xorg.conf.

I hope this helps
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I concur with using a live CD and trying to find an older version of your xorg.conf (called xorg.conf.bak or something like that) - you will find it under /etc/Xorg/xorg.conf
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Thanks for this

Files in xorg.conf.backup and xorg.conf are the same

The relevant bit reads

Section "InputDevice"
            Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
            Driver "kbd"
            Option "CoreKeyboard"
            Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
            Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
            Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
            Option "XkbOptions" "lv3:ralt_switch"
            End Section

I've tried reconfiguring, using

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

but this hasn't changed anything

Any further ideas anyone?

Comment

Try another keyboard??

Also, what about that Automatix question?

Comment

Open K Menu | System | Adept Manager | Adept | Manage Repositories | Third-Party Software and uncheck the CDROM repository entry. Close Adept. Open a console and type:
                Code:
                sudo apt-get update
                sudo dpkg --configure -a
                sudo apt-get update
                sudo apt-get install
                Report back on the results.
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                X