Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shutdown/Restart Freeze -- Why must K/Ubuntu's upgrades always break things?????

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shutdown/Restart Freeze -- Why must K/Ubuntu's upgrades always break things?????

Things have been going so well for the last few weeks. Nothing broken. Everything working smoothly. Then as of last week following the latest 'security upgrade', my Kubuntu Gutsy laptop freezes on either shutdown or restart. It goes thru the motions in the sense that the Kubuntu splash screen and horizontal scroll bar does it's thing ... but then it moves to an old (shudder) DOS style screen with the bottom line always reading something like "sending kill signal". The screen freezes there.

I've read several threads offering advice from changing the default session settings to altering part of the grub file to altering the kdrmc (i think that was the file) to fix the problem because apparantly it's pandemic. However, nothing has worked. It ALWAYS freezes whether I choose a restart of full shutdown. The only thing I can do when it does freeze is tap the main power button ... don't even have to hold it down ... and the laptop shuts off. The I have to do a normal start up with the power button. I'm sick of this!

When K/Ubuntu runs right .... it runs great ... but every other time there is a minor upgrade and EVERY time I've moved from a Dapper to an Edgy or a Feisty to a Gutsy ... it's always a nightmare and breaks things left and right.

I love this distro. Really I do. I've used it since Breezy. But the upgrade process has become horrendous. Very buggy.

This shutdown/restart freeze problem sure as hell is a bug. Unless ... of course ... someone has yet another possible solution I can try ... and I'm certainly willing to give it a go!!!

Re: Shutdown/Restart Freeze -- Why must K/Ubuntu's upgrades always break things??

If you would, try experimenting a little (aka - I don't have this problem right now, but have in the past, and believe I may have the solution) Since GRUB handles both the boot and shutdown processes, reinstalling it may fix the problem. To reinstall GRUB, run the following commands in order:
    - Remove GRUB:
    Code:
    sudo rm -rf /boot/grub/*
    - Reinstall GRUB:
    Code:
    sudo grub-install hd0
    - Update GRUB (might not be needed, but doesn't hurt):
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    - Reboot your computer:
    Code:
    sudo reboot
    If you can't boot your computer to run those commands, try either booting to recovery mode (press "Esc" when prompted to cancel the normal GRUB boot sequence) or booting to the installation CD (both the Live and Alternate CD's should work).
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Re: Shutdown/Restart Freeze -- Why must K/Ubuntu's upgrades always break things?

I don't have the problem you've described either, but I HAVE had many "breaks" after updates.

For me the solution was simple, someone suggested I use Synaptic instead of Adept. So, now Synaptic is the VERY first thing I install. I have not had an update break my system even once since I started using Synaptic. I don't know why Kubuntu even uses Adept... not to be a jerk.. but Adept just doesn't seem all that "adept" to me.

*some things get broken after updates for example this whole issue with administrative privilages in system settings... but my system hasn't been broken.

I hope this helps,
      Kev

Comment

Re: Shutdown/Restart Freeze -- Why must K/Ubuntu's upgrades always break things?

I thought I would add my two pennies worth re 'breaks'.

I too found Adept wanting and did the same as Bongo5HH - installing Synaptic as soon as I could. Having said that Adept has since been updated and seems to work OK now but Synaptic is still my favourite - mainly because I can understand the screen. Adept is way too complicated for me.
        Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
        GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
        Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Comment

Originally posted by leadwt

I thought I would add my two pennies worth re 'breaks'.

I too found Adept wanting and did the same as Bongo5HH - installing Synaptic as soon as I could. Having said that Adept has since been updated and seems to work OK now but Synaptic is still my favourite - mainly because I can understand the screen. Adept is way to complicated for me.
          ya I don't know if it's just that I've gotten used to Synaptic, or if Adept is really harder to use... it might very well be a "Windows vs Linux" thing were it's not really harder it's just different. I like Synaptic better.. and it tends to play nice too.

Kev

Comment

Working...
          X