X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aadept Manager stuck in read only mode

This is the error I am getting

Database Locked - Adept Manager

Another process is using the packaging system database (probably some other Adept application or apt-get or aptitude).
    Would you like to attempt to resolve this problem? No will enter read-only mode and Cancel to quit and resolve this issue yourself.

If I select Yes I get a crash error, if I select No I go into read only mode and can not do anything. If I do try do run an update, it starts to download then quits when it starts to install giving a break dependency error.
    I'm running a Gateway GM5472 with Athlon x2 64 5000+a 500GB serial hard drive, 4 gig of RAM and integrated sound and NVidea video. I installl Kubuntu 7.10. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Aadept Manager stuck in read only mode

Make sure you don't have any other package managers open (Adept, Synaptic, apt, aptitude, etc.), and try again. If you still get the error, run the command:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    If that doesn't fix it, run the command
    Code:
    sudo aptitude update
    You should receive an error at the end of the update, specifying a "/var/.../lock" location; please post the error code and I'll let you know what you need to do to fix it
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Many thanks for that - I was having this problem as well (Adept crashed on me and continued with this message despite a reboot). Your first suggestion fixed it.

Comment

Cool! I'm glad it worked for you
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Originally posted by oldbus
          Many thanks for that - I was having this problem as well (Adept crashed on me and continued with this message despite a reboot). Your first suggestion fixed it.
          Same with me: I have also Kubuntu 7.10 installed, and my Adept Manager crashed (I tried to install a package and got an error message, something like, "Could not commit the requested changes"...), and it didn't resolve when I tried to reboot my computer.

The above first suggestion fixed it (NOTE: the above mentioned command should be run in a shell window where you can see what happens, because the command will need to ask you for your password and for additional choices.)

However, is this a generel error that occurs when Adept Manager crashes...? (And does it only happen in Kubuntu 7.10...?) If so, it would be great if some Linux genious would fix the bug (in other words: Not me! )

Comment

Working...
          X