This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless and Live CD

I have a Toshiba Tecra 9000 and when i run the Live CD it recognises the Wireless card but I can't seen to connect to the WAP. is this a bug in the Live CD?
    (I don't want to install it if I can't get the Wireless working....)

Thanks

Re: Wireless and Live CD

I'm still new at it, too, but I will go on a limb and suggest you need to find out which wireless chip is in your computer. From there, you should be able to find out which drivers in Linux are needed. Perhaps, these drivers aren't getting loaded on the LiveCD? Also, it all depends how the distro is configured. There are sometimes firmware you need to install in order to get your particular wireless chip/card/adapter (whatever/whichever you have) working.

What I don't like is how the standard network managers work. I insist that they are all horrible but some people like to say they work fine. Yet, you read a zillion posts that they can't get their wireless to work. Then other distro developers (i.e. Mepis guy) actually builds THEIR OWN. That should tell you something.

As for your Toshiba Tecra 900, google for the make of the wireless chip and then google that chip with 'Linux drivers' or even google that chip and 'Ubuntu' or something like that. You should be able to eventually pinpoint which drivers are needed. Hopefully, you don't need ndiswrapper (program that utilizes the Windows drivers) since that can be a PITA.

Edit: maybe helpful?:

http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view...shibaTecra9000

Comment

Re: Wireless and Live CD

Did you try using the Wireless Assistant? Kmenu> Internet> Wireless Assistant
      Reg Kubuntu user 19940

Comment

Working...
      X