partition won't boot up 'properly.' There is no KDE
    desktop anymore. I get a login screen but I am wondering if
    the xorg file got corrupted or changed to prevent the
    boot up to the KDE desktop.

I am guessing that something
    happened to xorg.

Btw, the upgrade was from a ATI X300SE PCI-e to an Nvidia 7950 GT
    PCI-e 512MB.

There is a driver issue since I've not only changed video cards but went from ATI to Nvidia.

But, how do I restore xorg and install the correct driver? I did google and searched the forums here. But, I am still unsure. I read about 'reconfiguring' a new xorg.conf:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Is it something like that? Is that one of the steps or something else? I was wondering if I have to edit xorg.conf.

Help? ;-)

Btw, which is the recommended steps to installing a (new) Nvidia driver? Using the program, Envy or if you want something to install universally in any debian-based distro, is there a recommended method?

Re: xorg issue

Reboot into recovery mode (single user). When at the prompt, type:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    Answer the questions. If in doubt, or you don't know the answer to any question, accept the default. When asked to select your video card, and to ensure a working display initially, choose VESA. This should give you a working xorg.conf file and allow you to boot to a desktop. From there you can follow the HOWTO: Install and use the Envy script installer for video drivers
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Okay, I do all this and I get this message:

========================
      Some dependencies are missing. Envy won't work without them. Would you like Envy to try to install its missing dependencies?

[Yes] [No]

Error!

(x)dkms

Please install them manually and launch Envy again

[Close]

It doesn't matter whether I select 'Yes' or 'No.' The result is the same.

Btw, I think there needs to be alternatives to that Envy program.

That reply I get TELLS ME ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. What is the dependency?!?

I'd install it manually but I don't even know what it is!

Comment

I think I got it finally. But, it wasn't super smooth and didn't go totally according to the 'HowTo' listed.

I also had this one prompt and was totally confused. I chose the default since I think it is best when you don't have a clue.

It was regarding the configuration file 'etc/qt_plugins3.3rc'

File on system created by you or by a script.
        File also in package provided by package maintainer.

My choices were:
        to keep the default

install a new one (using the package from the maintainer?)

I have no clue what that is about. Can you or anyone decipher that or know what it is asking?

Did I make a suitable choice? Was I supposed to choose default or what is the implications of each one?

Note: btw, I had the dependencies problem when trying the 'Envy' icon to install at first and then I tried the install using the command line method (i.e. sudo envy -t) that given in the link. I only had a few prompts come up including that one. I guess the depencies were resolved because I then tried the Envy icon again to see what would happen. It seemed to try the same install using the GUI at first and I guess it is the exact same install, just showing in a shell (of what it already did?). It didn't take long (since it was already installed?).

According to the Nvidia settings and when I boot Kubuntu up (I have an Nvidia screen pop up), I seem to have the nvidia driver installed. It appears to be the correct one?

Comment

Originally posted by kbunt
          I also had this one prompt and was totally confused. I chose the default since I think it is best when you don't have a clue.

It was regarding the configuration file 'etc/qt_plugins3.3rc'

File on system created by you or by a script.
          File also in package provided by package maintainer.

My choices were:
          to keep the default

install a new one (using the package from the maintainer?)

I have no clue what that is about. Can you or anyone decipher that or know what it is asking?
          this is something many (all) users had during updates some time ago; you should be ok with both choices - Y (package maintainer conf) or N (default) answer
          Code:
          Configuration file `/etc/qt3/qt_plugins_3.3rc'
           ==> File on system created by you or by a script.
           ==> File also in package provided by package maintainer.
            What would you like to do about it ? Your options are:
            Y or I : install the package maintainer's version
            N or O : keep your currently-installed version
             D   : show the differences between the versions
             Z   : background this process to examine the situation
           The default action is to keep your current version.
          *** qt_plugins_3.3rc (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?
          differences:
          Code:
          #D
          --- /etc/qt3/qt_plugins_3.3rc  2007-12-31 17:24:32.000000000 +0200
          +++ /etc/qt3/qt_plugins_3.3rc.dpkg-new 2007-10-30 19:28:05.000000000 +0200
          @@ -1,9 +1,4 @@
           [usr]
          -lib/kde3/plugins/styles/polyester.so=30307^e3^ei686 Linux g++-4.* full-config^e2007-06-14T18:04:04^e
          -lib/qt3/plugins/imageformats/libqmng.so=30307^e3^ei686 Linux g++-4.* full-config^e2007-10-02T01:34:08^e
          -lib/qt3/plugins/inputmethods/libqimsw-multi.so=30307^e3^ei686 Linux g++-4.* full-config^e2007-10-02T01:34:08^e
          -lib/qt3/plugins/inputmethods/libqimsw-none.so=30307^e3^ei686 Linux g++-4.* full-config^e2007-10-02T01:34:08^e
          -lib/qt3/plugins/inputmethods/libqscim.so=30307^e3^ei686 Linux g++-4.* full-config^e2007-09-13T01:01:10^e
          -lib/qt3/plugins/inputmethods/libqsimple.so=30307^e3^ei686 Linux g++-4.* full-config^e2007-10-02T01:34:08^e
          -lib/qt3/plugins/inputmethods/libqxim.so=30307^e3^ei686 Linux g++-4.* full-config^e2007-10-02T01:34:08^e
          +lib/kde3/plugins/styles/plastik.so=30306^e3^ei686 Linux g++-4.* full-config^e2006-09-29T20:06:31^e
          +lib/qt3/plugins/imageformats/libqmng.so=30306^e3^ei686 Linux g++-4.* full-config^e2006-08-25T18:22:18^e

Comment

Working...
          X