X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

feisty>gutsy: could not mount disks anymore

hi

I just upgraded from feisty to gutsy and booting with the 2.6.22 kernel fail mounting my disks ... if I boot with my old 2.6.20-16 it is ok (I can't launch kde w that kernel but that's another pb - I think it's a pb of nvidia kernel module) and if I try mounting with 2.6.22 from the live CD it works perfectly.

help please !!!!

Re: feisty>gutsy: could not mount disks anymore

Originally posted by hbbk

booting with the 2.6.22 kernel fail mounting my disks
    What makes you think it is a disk mounting failure? Are you getting a Grub Error # ? Probably it is just a boot menu error -- easy to fix.

Open a console and do
    Code:
    cat /etc/fstab
    and copy that into a reply here. Then do Alt-F2
    Code:
    kdesu kate /boot/grub/menu.lst
    and copy just the part that looks similar to this, and paste that into your reply, and we can probably get it sorted for you.

Code:
    ## ## End Default Options ##

title		Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
    root		(hd0,1)
    kernel		/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=1991a076-aba8-4e5d-9db9-65be3b608f11 ro splash resume=UUID=1991a076-aba8-4e5d-9db9-65be3b608f11
    initrd		/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
    quiet

title		Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (recovery mode)
    root		(hd0,1)
    kernel		/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=1991a076-aba8-4e5d-9db9-65be3b608f11 ro single
    initrd		/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic

title		Ubuntu 7.10, memtest86+
    root		(hd0,1)
    kernel		/memtest86+.bin
    quiet

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

Comment

Re: feisty>gutsy: could not mount disks anymore

Originally posted by dibl

What makes you think it is a disk mounting failure? Are you getting a Grub Error # ? Probably it is just a boot menu error -- easy to fix.
      hi

Thanks for the answer but remember I wrote that booting with kernel 2.6.20-16 is ok regarding to disk mounting (it use the same grub & same fstab)... The pb come when fscking during boot process, I've got an error as: Device or resource busy while trying to open /dev/sda1 (or any other disk) and if I continue boot sequence I could not mount the disk

Anyway here are the infos you asked me but I'm not sure they are really helpfull for this pb (I'm not a real unix newbee, I used to be sysadmin in another life - long time ago- but 1st time I see this kind of pb).

- fstab:
      Code:
      # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
      #
      # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options>   <dump> <pass>
      proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

# hda IDE Master 20G (C:)
      /dev/hda1 /media/hda1 vfat defaults,utf8,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46,auto,rw,nouser 0 1
      /dev/hda2 / ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
      /dev/hda3 none swap sw 0 0

# hdb IDE Slave 180G (D:)
      /dev/hdb1 /media/hdb1 vfat defaults,utf8,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46,auto,rw,nouser 0 1
      /dev/hdb2 /data2 ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1

# sda Sata 500G
      /dev/sda1 /home ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
      /dev/sda2 /data1 ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1

# clubpocket USB
      /dev/clubpocket1 /data3 vfat auto,user,rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,uid=1000,gid=46,utf8,shortname=lower
      grub's menu.lst:
      Code:
      title     Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-386
      root      (hd0,1)
      kernel     /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-386 root=UUID=83c97eaa-ebba-47db-9674-dc5d88d1885a ro quiet splash
      initrd     /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-386

title     Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-386 (recovery mode)
      root      (hd0,1)
      kernel     /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-386 root=UUID=83c97eaa-ebba-47db-9674-dc5d88d1885a ro single
      initrd     /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-386

title     Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.20-16-386
      root      (hd0,1)
      kernel     /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-386 root=UUID=83c97eaa-ebba-47db-9674-dc5d88d1885a ro quiet splash
      initrd     /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-16-386

title     Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.20-16-386 (recovery mode)
      root      (hd0,1)
      kernel     /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-386 root=UUID=83c97eaa-ebba-47db-9674-dc5d88d1885a ro single
      initrd     /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-16-386

title     Ubuntu 7.10, memtest86+
      root      (hd0,1)
      kernel     /boot/memtest86+.bin

Comment

Re: feisty&gt;gutsy: could not mount disks anymore

great help is here::

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Au...ountPartitions

Comment

Originally posted by srikar
          I'm sorry but didn't find any useful help for my case in there... This seems to be a real mess with my disk mounting: in fact hda2 mount perfectly well in / but when coming to mound sda and hdb this fail strangely (I sometimes get the error: device-mapper: table: 254:5 : linear: dm-linear: Device lookup failed). And I repeat booting from a 2.6.20-16 kernel mount my disk perfectly (it use the same fstab) !!!!!

When mounting fail at boot time I have a maintenance shell asking me to do a manual fsck ... the system seems to "see" my disk but could not mount them as they seems busy for it... it is impossible to umount them by hand or doing any mount operation on them ... (at start of boot time I've the following warning that seems strange: No module symbols loaded - kernel modules not enabled). I tryed to reinstall the linux-image but nothing change.

more help is needed please

Comment

I'd like to see the output of the
            Code:
            blkid
            command. You might have to prefix it with "sudo" to run it. Because your /etc/fstab file is using "dev" IDs, and /boot/grub/menu.lst is using UUIDs, I can't be sure that the kernel is on the partition that Grub is looking at. So open the Konsole and run
            Code:
            blkid
            and we'll see.

Comment

dibl -

Unless I'm wrong (has been know to occur on the rare occasion!) isn't the problem right there to be seen in his fstab file:

# hda IDE Master 20G (C
              /dev/hda1 /media/hda1 vfat defaults,utf8,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46,auto,rw,nouse r 0 1
              /dev/hda2 / ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
              /dev/hda3 none swap sw 0 0
              # sda Sata 500G
              /dev/sda1 /home ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
              /dev/sda2 /data1 ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
              In Gutsy aren't all HD's addressed as sdx? Wouldn't that create a severe conflict between his IDE Master 20G and Sata 500G drives during boot? Wouldn't the IDE drive be seen as sdax which matches the Sata drive?
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

AFAIK, upon direct installation (vs. upgrade) of Gutsy, all hard drives will be designated with a "sdx" number. I think "sd" is used exclusively in Linux kernels after 2.6.16 (don't quote me -- that's from an increasingly senile memory).

But, I don't know that the hdx designation will produce an error of this type. All questions about it could be eliminated by converting the /etc/fstab designations to UUIDs.

Also, some BIOS's require a "boot" flag on the partition to be booted, and that may also be an issue here. That will require an inspection with GParted.

Comment

Code:
                  root@ubuntu:~# blkid
                  /dev/sda1: LABEL="Home" UUID="340380e4-63d4-4547-9f38-6c486fd9c2e3" SEC_TYPE="ex             t2" TYPE="ext3"
                  /dev/sda2: UUID="8b248171-0fd8-4c1d-9ed8-20c333948137" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext             3"
                  /dev/hda1: LABEL="SYS" UUID="2131-0C00" TYPE="vfat"
                  /dev/hda2: UUID="83c97eaa-ebba-47db-9674-dc5d88d1885a" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext             3"
                  /dev/hda3: TYPE="swap" UUID="ef7e9d9f-9a64-40fa-8d76-d77781eeef8d"
                  /dev/hdb1: UUID="2FA8-F95A" TYPE="vfat"
                  /dev/hdb2: LABEL="Data" UUID="ea725ee0-a80d-41e1-b26f-83ec7039e6ca" SEC_TYPE="ex             t2" TYPE="ext3"
                  @Snowhog:

I don't think that's the pb !!! Doing a manual mount from the gutsy live DVD work perfectly with /dev/hd style.
                  Code:
                  root@ubuntu:~# mount
                  proc on /proc type proc (rw)
                  sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
                  tmpfs on /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/volatile type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
                  tmpfs on /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/volatile type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
                  varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=0755)
                  varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777)
                  udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
                  devshm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
                  devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
                  tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
                  /dev/sda2 on /data1 type ext3 (rw)
                  /dev/hdb2 on /data2 type ext3 (rw)

Comment

Based on the blkid output and your posted fstab, and assuming that changing to UUIDs will fix the problem, this is the 'edited' fstab file as it should look:
                    # hda IDE Master 20G (C
                    # /dev/hda1 /media/hda1
                    UUID=2131-0C00 /media/hda1 vfat defaults,utf8,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46,auto,rw,nouse r 0 2
                    # /dev/hda2 /
                    UUID="83c97eaa-ebba-47db-9674-dc5d88d1885a / ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
                    # /dev/hda3 swap
                    UUID=ef7e9d9f-9a64-40fa-8d76-d77781eeef8d none swap sw 0 0

# hdb IDE Slave 180G (D
                    # /dev/hdb1 /media/hdb1
                    UUID=2FA8-F95A /media/hdb1 vfat defaults,utf8,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46,auto,rw,nouse r 0 2
                    # /dev/hdb2 /data2
                    UUID=ea725ee0-a80d-41e1-b26f-83ec7039e6ca /data2 ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 2

# sda Sata 500G
                    # /dev/sda1 /home
                    UUID=340380e4-63d4-4547-9f38-6c486fd9c2e3 /home ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 2
                    # /dev/sda2 /data1
                    UUID=8b248171-0fd8-4c1d-9ed8-20c333948137 /data1 ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 2

# clubpocket USB
                    /dev/clubpocket1 /data3 vfat auto,user,rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,uid=1000,gid=46, utf8,shortname=lower
                    Do look it over carefully. If you choose to try it, make a backup copy of your existing fstab file first!!

Note also, that I changed the fs_passno arguments on the non-root partition from 1 to 2. See:
                    man fstab

The sixth field, (fs_passno), is used by the fsck( 8 ) program to determine the order in which
                    filesystem checks are done at reboot time. The root filesystem should be specified with a
                    fs_passno of 1
                    ,and other filesystems should have a fs_passno of 2.

Comment

Snowhog's recommended change looks right to me, although it's not obvious that there is any conflict between the /boot/grub/menu.lst file and /etc/fstab.

Also, I would open GParted and set the "boot" flag on the partition that is to be booted, in case your BIOS is looking for that.

Also, Snowhog's note on fs_passno is a good point. I noticed in the fstab file that, in addition to being in an "odd" sequence, all filesystems are "0 1", but it should be "0 2" for everything except "/".

Normally, the /etc/fstab sequence begins with the root filesystem "/" and then "/home" if it is on a different partition, and then other mounted hard drive partitions, with "swap" at the end of the hard drive partitions, and finally the CD ROM, floppy, and USB devices if they are to be automatically mounted. I don't know how sensitive the Grub bootloader is to the sequence in fstab.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                        Normally, the /etc/fstab sequence begins with the root filesystem "/" and then "/home" ....I don't know how sensitive the Grub bootloader is to the sequence in fstab.
                        I noticed that also. I don't think that where / is in the list order is as important as the fs_passno is, which is why I changed them. It wouldn't hurt to rearrange the 'list order' in the fstab.

Comment

so I tryed your recommandations : new fstab based on UUID and so on ... and this is the same sh*t !!!!

At fsck time:
                          Code:
                          Log of fsck -C -R -A -a 
                          Tue Jan 1 22:35:24 2008

fsck 1.40.2 (12-Jul-2007)
                          dosfsck 2.11, 12 Mar 2005, FAT32, LFN
                          /dev/mapper/hda1: 54847 files, 328876/589092 clusters
                          dosfsck 2.11, 12 Mar 2005, FAT32, LFN
                          /dev/hdb1: 13 files, 20/1965723 clusters
                          fsck.ext3: Device or resource busy while trying to open /dev/hdb2
                          Filesystem mounted or opened exclusively by another program?
                          Home: clean, 59147/13107200 files, 1490778/26214055 blocks
                          /dev/mapper/sda2: clean, 15351/47955968 files, 37871771/95881944 blocks
                          fsck died with exit status 8
                          /dev/hda2 is correctly mounted on / and all the others could not mount.
                          At local file system mounting time I got something like "Mounting local filesystem /dev/xxx Busy or already mounted" (for each entry in fstab)

I think if nobody will find any solution since tomorow night I'll reinstall from scratch (that's a pity, that kind of stuff should never happen on dist upgrades anymore); fortunately I'm a wise man and do have separate /home and /data partitions ;-)

thanks for all your help

Comment

Change the order of the entries so that your / partition is the first ones listed:
                            # /dev/hda2 /
                            UUID="83c97eaa-ebba-47db-9674-dc5d88d1885a / ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
                            # /dev/hda1 /media/hda1
                            UUID=2131-0C00 /media/hda1 vfat defaults,utf8,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46,auto,rw,nouse r 0 2

Comment

If you used the re-written fstab I posted 'exactly' I may have caused part of the problem. If so, I'm very sorry!

The following must be included at the beginning of the fstab file:
                              #
                              # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
                              Make sure that your fstab file does have this at the very beginning. Also, I would make the entry order change I previously posted - putting the / entry as the first immediately following the header data above:
                              #
                              # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
                              # /dev/hda2 /
                              # /dev/hda1 /media/hda1

Comment

Working...
                              X