X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DELL D630C with SATA Drive - Install / Boot Issue

Thanks for taking time to read this question:

Been using XP and Vista Ultimate very happily for some time now. I have them dual booted on my above mentioned laptop, configured as follows:

NVidia Quadro NVS 135
    4 Gigs of Ram
    2.3 Ghz - Dual Core Intel CPU
    150 Gig SATA Hard Drive Partitioned as follows:
    110 Gig - Vista
    20 Gig - XP SP 2
    20 Gig - open for Kubuntu - but unable to install it so far.

I'm trying to install the 7.10 Desktop version, and then I want to add it to the BCD Boot loader for a TRI-BOOT system, but it runs through the initial load, all the "[OK]" messages, and then stops at a KUBUNTU screen and sits there . . . .

I realize I have never used KUBUNTU - but I don;t find anything with any solid direction about SATA Drives or issues with this Video Card. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Re: DELL D630C with SATA Drive - Install / Boot Issue

Retry. When you are presented with the initial boot screen menu, press F6. This will open the kernel line for editing. User your left arrow key to move the cursor left. You want to delete the quiet and the splash options. Then move the cursor to the end of the ling (move it right) and press Enter to continue.

This will allow you to see more of what's going on during the booting process. See what gets reported when it 'hangs.'
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

8)

Snowhog - VERY Helpful . . . .

I was able to catch that the system was going to sleep waiting for the LIVE CD to finish loading, I caught it, and completed the install. Found the drive, loaded right up! I did however make a stupid error after I got it all installed onto the hard drive. it gave me the option to install the "nVidia" Driver that was NOT Open source, it said it would allow the FULL ability of the driver to be used, so like an idiot . . .I installed it. NOW I have no display on the monitor.

1 - How do I get the ORIGINAL Video Driver back - it was just fine!
      2 - Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Comment

Reboot into recovery mode (single user). You will be root.
        From the prompt type:
        Code:
        dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
        Answer the questions. If in doubt, select the Vesa driver. That will at least get you a working display from which you can deal with getting the proper nVidia driver installed.

Comment

Thanks so very much! Worked Perfectly

I'm in the Konqueror Web Browser right now typing this note - really appreciate you helping me out.

Happy New Year !

Comment

Another satisfied new member!

Happy New Year, and, Welcome to the Kubuntu Forums!! 8)

Comment

Working...
            X