This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Distribution Version Upgrade Problem

In Adept Manger, click on Fetch Updates, unless that's what you did just before posting. Click on Adept | Manage Repositories and check the Updates tab. Under Kubuntu Updates you want everything except Pre-released updates checked. Under Automatic Updates you want Check for Updates and select Daily. Make sure the only button checked is Only notify about available updates
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yep. That all checks out.

Comment

Open a console and type:
        Code:
        lsb_release -a
        If you are running Gutsy, the output should be:
        No LSB modules are available.
        Distributor ID: Ubuntu
        Description: Ubuntu 7.10
        Release: 7.10
        Codename: gutsy

Comment

Yep. That's the output.

No LSB modules are available.
          Distributor ID: Ubuntu
          Description: Ubuntu 7.10
          Release: 7.10
          Codename: gutsy

Comment

Time for a normal shutdown/restart. Monitor for the Adept Notifier to show in the system tray. If it doesn't, don't worry. If it does, click on it and enter you password and click on Fetch Updates. If the notifier doesn't show up, don't worry. When updates are made available, the notifier will show in the system tray.

I believe you should be good to go.

Comment

Well, the notifier appeared with 90 updates available. I fetched the updates and attempted to apply them. An error occurred while attempting to replace the linux-image 2.6.22-14-generic. I can't copy/paste the error because the Adept Updater is "covered" by the error dialog (can't get focus to copy the text from the details window). But, here is the error...

*** stack smashing detected ***: /usr/bin/perl terminated

Looks like it is embedded in the dpkg program somewhere.

So, now, I have only the option to click "Ok" on the error dialog. Upon doing so, I get a message saying "A new distribution version is available! Click next if you wish to upgrade now." I'm going to assume that I should NOT try this, as every past time it has resulted in disaster. But, now I'm in a state where any time I try to run any kind of package update (or add/remove software) I'll get an error because of this previous problem.

Basically, I'm right back where I started early this afternoon. :-)

Comment

:P :-X

On the second dialog "Click next if you wish to upgrade now" can you cancel or otherwise terminate the window? I'm not sure what to tell you at this point. What you are experiencing isn't (obviously) normal.

Comment

I guess I'll try to do the version upgrade again. It has consistently failed every other time, but we did make a few changes to the repositories. I'll report back with results.

Comment

If I were in your place, and given that this is a 'fresh' installation and not an upgrade of an existing (Feisty) installation, I'd just start over. You now know that after initial installation you need to make changes to the Adept Manger Repositories before you try to do anything. Deleting the cdrom repository item. Checking the other repositories, and so forth.

But that's me.

Comment

Yes, and that is very likely what I'll do. The "upgrade" did fail, as I suspected it would. Now, the database is "locked by another process," even after a shutdown/restart. I guess a lock file is left over somewhere. So, I can't run the Adept Manager to check on things. Any idea what file I should go delete? :-)

Thanks for all the help.

Comment

In a console, one at a time:
                        Code:
                        sudo dpkg --configure -a
                        sudo apt-get autoclean
                        sudo apt-get update
                        sudo apt-get install

Comment

Well, I guess that all did the trick. Everyone seems to be happy, and there are no more update notifications. Yippee! :-)

Thanks again. I'm glad I don't have to go through another install, though.

Comment

All is good?! Oh, yes (dancing a jig)

Congratulations. You've run the gauntlet and survived!

Comment

Oh, and I think I forgot -- Welcome to the Kubuntu Forums!

If you are satisfied that all is well, please return to your first post in this thread and click the Modify button and add SOLVED to the subject line.

Comment

Re: New Distribution Version Upgrade Problem - SOLVED

Thanks for the welcome. So far, other than this issue I'm very pleased with my Kubuntu experience.
                                Subject line has been updated.
                                Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                                X