X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kinit failing after NVIDIA driver install

Hi,

I have recently installed Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon and I custom built a kernel and installed it this worked fine. But I read somewhere that I should install the new NVIDIA driver. I did this by booting into the recovery mode. Install went well. I then rebooted normally and its failing. Here is what happens when it boots. I see the Kubuntu logo and the blue progress bar starts going and then it goes a tty window that says the following:

Starting up ...
    Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
    Loading, please wait...
    kinit: name_to_dev_t(/dev/disk/by-uuid/2299cead-c9d5-42cc-b2d5-ff8c5908f37f) = sda5(8,5)
    kinit: trying to resume from /dev/disk/by-uuid/2299cead-c9d5-42cc-b2d5-ff8c5908f37f
    kinit: No resume image, doing normal boot...

/dev/disk/by-uuid/2299cead-c9d5-42cc-b2d5-ff8c5908f37f is a Symbolic Link to ../../sda5 that device is there.

This is the Swap Partition. I don't understand what installing the new NVIDIA Driver would do to the Swap Partition.

I have tried booting into the original kernel and I get the same thing.

Hardware Specs:

Mobo - Intel 845 chipset motherboard
    Processor - Pentium 4 2.0GHz
    Memory - PC 133 1.25 GB
    Video Card - PNY NVIDIA GeForce 5500 PCI 256 MB RAM
    Harddrive - SDA Maxtor 160 GB (IDE - have no idea why linux recognizes it as a SCSI, but that hasn't been a problem). SDB Maxtor 120 GB (IDE - Also no idea why its recognized as SCSI).

Does anyone have any suggestions? In the past I've worked with Mandriva, FreeBSD, Debian, HP-UX, and Solaris. But this is something I've never seen before and I'm making the jump back into Linux after probably a year of using Windows.

Thanks for any help
    Albert

Re: kinit failing after NVIDIA driver install

Envy may help (it's helped me plenty of times); if you would like to use it, boot back into recovery mode, and download envy_0.9.9-0ubuntu4_all.deb with the command:
    Code:
    wget -c [url]http://albertomilone.com/ubuntu/nvidia/scripts/ubuntu/envy_0.9.9-0ubuntu4_all.deb[/url]
    Then, install it:
    Code:
    dpkg -i envy*
    Once installed, run Envy from the shell with the command:
    Code:
    envy -t
    Choose option 1 to install the Nvidia driver and tell it to configure your xorg.conf file, but tell it not to reboot your system (you don't want to do that just yet). Exit Envy and test your new X.org configuration with the command:
    Code:
    X
    (that's a capital "X" )

If you get a screen, and no errors, exit the screen by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Backspace and reboot your computer. That should pretty much do it

Edit: If you receive dependency errors with Envy, you should be able to resolve them by running
    Code:
    apt-get install -f
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Thank you soooo much that fixed it

Comment

Great!
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Working...
        X