X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

/etc/inittab not found

Hello,
    I installed Kubuntu Gusty Gibbon from a CD on my machine which runs 5 Linux disro (Fedora 8, Debian 4, OpenSuse 10.3, Gentoo 2007.0 and Mandriva 2008). I had to edit my /boot/grub/menu.lst (OpenSuse Grub) to add my 6th Linux distro :
    Code:
    title Kubuntu (2.6.22-14-generic)
        kernel (hd0,13)/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic BOOT_IMAGE=Kubuntu_(2.6.22-14-generic) root=LABEL=KUBUNTU ro resume=/dev/sda12 splash vga=791
        initrd (hd0,13)/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
    Kubuntu boots fine but the problem is that I don't find /etc/inittab, so I can't access any of the TTY1-TTY6 terminals.
    I don't understand how does it boot the runlevel 2 (graphical) without inittab file, or there is something missing in my installation.
    thanks for answering

Re: /etc/inittab not found

*ubuntus use upstart so there is no /etc/inittab file

Most of the options/configurations you'd find in the inittab can be found in the /etc/event.d directory.

However, your problem does not probably lie within upstart configs, you are likely suffering from this bug:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ls/+bug/129910

The quickest way to enable the terminals is to remove the vga=xxx boot option (read the bug comments on how to proceed if you wish to get higher resolution virtual terminals, there are a few different solutions to get them, I used card specific framebuffer drivers to get 1400x1050 terminals on my machines)

Comment

Working...
    X