This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of range for first part of boot

I've always had this problem with Kubuntu, at the first part of boot, I have a "Out of range" message onscreen. My screen definition is 1280 x 1024 and I believe this is only supported when the proper drivers are loaded later in the boot. So, if I select 1024 x768 before booting, everything is OK. But I forgot to do it before installation.

How do I get out of this now?

Thanks!

Re: Out of range for first part of boot

Do you however, actually boot (get to the Desktop) or does the boot process fail?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Out of range for first part of boot

Originally posted by Snowhog
      Do you however, actually boot (get to the Desktop) or does the boot process fail?
      I do boot to the Desktop, so it's not a major issue... or it won't be until I have a problem booting and I can't read the boot screen. I really prefer to see the boot screen.

I just tried sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-org , which prevented the next reboot. Fortunately, the program did a back-up of xorg.conf -- honestly, I had too, because I know who those configuration programs sometime behave -- I replaced the file and I'm back in. I'm not sure a beginner would be back in his system... if he ever tried to get rid of the error message.

I can only remember receiving this message once -- with which distro, I don't remember -- and, that time, it did prevent me to boot.

I'm still wondering if Kubuntu will prove easier to use than Debian. Of course, this problem is of no consequence whatsoever with a LCD monitor, but I'm planning to help beginners to install Linux. Had this problem -- and here, I mean only booting the CD for the first time! -- arisen with a non-multisync CRT monitor, I'm very much afraid it would have gone up in smoke.

That would be a rather bad intro to Linux with this "try this new nice little Kubuntu distro".

Still puzzled.

Comment

Working...
      X