This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

desktop alignment

I have been trying to install Kubuntu 7.10 from a live CD but the desktop does not align correctly to my monitor - there is a shift to the left of about 1 inch - this eaves a black space on the right and lost icons on the left.
    I am a "newby" and I guess there is probably some simple explanation - please help.
    Eddie

Re: desktop alignment

I'm assuming a CRT (non-laptop) monitor?? Have you simply tried adjusting the horizontal setting on the monitor??
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

No this is a LCD monitor which aligns OK for other installations

Comment

Sounds like it is doing a bad job of auto-detecting your video display hardware. It's been awhile since I ran these, but IIRC there is an "F6 Options" button on the initial boot screen (or maybe I'm thinking of the Alternate Install CD). You probably need to choose a mode, rather than let it auto-detect. "VESA" is pretty universal. There's also "Simple Graphics" that works for some cases.

Comment

I had this problem with SimplyMEPIS recently, running Live both on CD and on USB Flash drive.

It is, as Mr. dibl says, a video/display problem.

Of course, as you found out, you can edge the mouse over to the left (or left-bottom corner), and skoot the Desktop to the right so you can access any hidden button and so on.

You just need to goof around (even try right-clicking on the Desktop--Configure Desktop) until you find a chance to adjust Monitor/Display settings; and then experiment. I found VESA, 800-600 to do the trick, sometimes other settings, too.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

When I installed 7.10, my xorg.conf file got changed for the worse. The solution was to restore the last version. I don't know if this would help your problem or not, but here's the advice that Snowhog gave me, included in the following post http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3089947.0

This assumes that xorg.conf is bad, but xorg.conf.1 is good. But it may be that xorg.conf.2, .3, etc. is better, if they exist.

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf_BAD
            sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.1 /etc/X11/xorg.conf_GOOD
            sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.1 /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Comment

Have you tried the AUTO button on your LCD monitor?

Comment

Working...
              X