This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation: I'm worried....

I installed Kubuntu yesterday. Here are a few comments.

Kubuntu doesn't inquire if the system clock is set to UTC or local time. It expects UTC. I bet most people have their BIOS clock set to local time. If you're late evening in America, you must also think to change the date to the following day. This is a potential source of problems for newbies. It would be better to ask.

Keyboards are all there! Great! Many distros do not offer the keyboard that I use, the Canadian Multilingual. Even the Inuktitut keyboard is there! Besides Suse, I'm not too sure many distros offer all keyboards. Of course, some will say there might be only 100,000 people writing in Inuktitut, but the keyboard is consequently harder to find. Very nice tought, those keyboards!

It would be nice if the autopartitioning system said how it intends to partition. After manual partitioning, there is no badblocks check. This should be an option. Of course, it takes a long time, but otherwise, you don't know exactly what you're installing on.

Towards the end of installation, I received a warning saying that the server couldn't be reached for updates -- of course, my modem wasn't on! -- and that lines pertaining to security updates would be commented.

Well, they were all commented! Will all newbies know how to uncomment a file? How many will uncomment comments too? Maybe the installation program could have asked if the modem was on?

So I uncommented universe, multiverse, satanic verses, everything, and tried to make only security updates. I saw no option for this in Adept. Did I miss something?

Then, at about 80% of the installation, i received a message saying:

"There was an error committing changes. Possibly there was a problem downloading some packages or the commit would break packages."

Which packages? No clue. Will this cripple my system? How do I eventually file a bug report?

After taking note of the error message, I clicked OK and Adept immediately crashed. I went back into it to complete the update, but I received an error message saying that another program, possibly apt-get or Synaptic, was trying to access the database. Clicking Yes didn't succeed to fix the problem. I then tried by myself. (Cancel option.)

I checked with ps ax, but no old session of Adept seemed to try to acces the database. I rebooted. Still no result. I tried apt-get update, maybe upgrade afterwards, and received a message saying I must try dpkg --configure -a . I did, and that fixed the problem in hardly more than a minute. I could get back into Adept... but the 80% installation was now complete, there was nothing else to do. Very strange!

I installed Firefox and Icedove without any problem afterwards, but when I start kate to edit sources.list. I receive the following messages:

Error: "/var/tmp/kdecache-mike" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
    Error: "/tmp/kde-mike" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
    Error: "/tmp/ksocket-marcel" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
    kate: WARNING: Pixmap not found for mimetype application/pgp-keys

df also gives weird results:

df
    Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/hda2 4324760 2624524 1480548 64% /
    varrun 127968 140 127828 1% /var/run
    varlock 127968 0 127968 0% /var/lock
    udev 127968 60 127908 1% /dev
    devshm 127968 0 127968 0% /dev/shm
    lrm 127968 34696 93272 28% /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/volatile
    /dev/hda3 3549856 85440 3284088 3% /home

In my experience, there should only be /dev/hda2 and /dev/hda3. What's the rest?

Conclusion.

Despite some nice features, it's certainly not the most worry-free installation I've made in my life. Would Synaptic be more reliable than Adept? What about these UID and df problems?

Thanks!

Re: Installation: I'm worried....

Originally posted by Priam
    I installed Firefox and Icedove without any problem
    Err.. As a matter of fact, I just tried to start icedove/thunderbird and it seems it's not installed. So, I tried to use Adept again and there are all sorts of packages, mainly for Thunderbird, but none looks like the main executable.

But apt-get did find it, though. After processing, it continued with:

Processing triggers for libc6 ...
    ldconfig deferred processing now taking place

Gee, for a distro that's supposed to be for beginners, all this sums up to a lot of problems.

Comment

Kubuntu doesn't inquire if the system clock is set to UTC or local time.
      I'm not sure what Kubuntu you installed, but mine brings up the question of whether you want UTC, recommends you accept it, and lets you choose "NO" if you'd rather not.

It would be nice if the autopartitioning system said how it intends to partition. After manual partitioning, there is no badblocks check. This should be an option. Of course, it takes a long time, but otherwise, you don't know exactly what you're installing on.
      I'd rather do my partitioning in advance of even booting the Linux installation CD, with something like GParted Live CD.

Conclusion.

Despite some nice features, it's certainly not the most worry-free installation I've made in my life. Would Synaptic be more reliable than Adept? What about these UID and df problems?
      A lot of people do favor Synaptic. It's fine, but I've not really had a serious problem with Adept Manager, either. You have to learn to un-check that installation CD as a source, as soon as you've installed the OS, or it will drive you crazy asking for it ever after.

I don't know who has said installing and configuring a Linux system is a worry-free proposition. Whoever it is, they're lying.

On the other hand, my 75-year old mother in-law who never touched a computer in her life has been happily e-mailing and web-browsing on a Kubuntu Feisty system that I built her last June, with pretty near zero problems (she somehow periodically manages to make the Taskbar applet disappear). So, I think once it is installed and configured, it is pretty safe for the novice -- better than the virus-laden commercial alternative ....

Comment

I installed Firefox and Icedove without any problem
        Err.. As a matter of fact, I just tried to start icedove/thunderbird and it seems it's not installed. So, I tried to use Adept again and there are all sorts of packages, mainly for Thunderbird, but none looks like the main executable.
        About this, my mistake. I had made a jpg and now see it's in the list with specifications that it's for RSS. The Add-Remove programs certainly makes things clearer here than System, Adept..

Comment

Originally posted by dibl

Kubuntu doesn't inquire if the system clock is set to UTC or local time.
          I'm not sure what Kubuntu you installed, but mine brings up the question of whether you want UTC, recommends you accept it, and lets you choose "NO" if you'd rather not.
          In this case, we certainly didn't install the same Kubuntu. You're sure you installed Gutsy?

I'd rather do my partitioning in advance of even booting the Linux installation CD, with something like GParted Live CD.
          I don't believe Gparted does badblocks checks:

http://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Agparted.sourceforge.net+badblocks& ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.ubuntu:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a

It's really the installation program's job to ask the user if he wants to run it.

Conclusion.

A lot of people do favor Synaptic. It's fine, but I've not really had a serious problem with Adept Manager, either. You have to learn to un-check that installation CD as a source, as soon as you've installed the OS, or it will drive you crazy asking for it ever after.
          We definitely didn't install the same Kubuntu. I have:

deb cdrom:[Kubuntu 7.10 _Gutsy Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071016.1)]/ gutsy main restricted

in sources.list and it never caused problems.

Can you tell me how you can make a security only update in Adept? On your system, does df give the same weird result I got?

Thanks for your answer!

Comment

Working...
          X