X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

file process dies on initial install

Hi,

I purchased a used Dell p4 2ghz 256mb machine specifically for the purpose of testing Kubuntu.

During the installation process, I get a popup that says the file process has died unexpectedly and it never gets much further from there. It does create the bar at the bottom, however it does not place the "install" icon on the desktop.

I have tried to install multiple times with the same result. I did boot to a prompt using the "install to safe mode??" option, but did not know where to go from there.

Please advise on the next steps I should attempt.

thanks
    Phil

PS. Sorry I don't have more explicit info... I did this at home and I'm at work at the moment. I would be glad to provide any additional info I can later, as requested.

Re: file process dies on initial install

This happens when you are attempting to boot the Live CD? Will that Live CD boot in another computer -- it would be good to confirm that the CD itself is a good burn.

Comment

Hi dibl,

yes, the cd did boot to a clean desktop on my laptop.

Comment

OK, so it boots up cleanly on that same laptop, and seems to function correctly in that mode, but when you attempt to install it, you have this error where the process "dies unexpectedly"?

Sounds like maybe something in the laptop is being exercised differently during installation than it is when running the Live CD. First suspect might be that hard drive. How did you approach the partitioning? Does the installation process get that far, to where you are viewing the hard drive partitions? What filesystem type are you attempting to use?

Comment

Sorry Dibl,

perhaps I was not clear.

I downloaded and created the Live Cd on my laptop and then tested it there. Everything appeared to work fine. I did not attempt to install it on the laptop.

I then took it to a another PC (described above) and that is where the error occurred. As I mentioned, I was able to start it to the command line prompt, but I didn't know where to go from there.

Thanks again
          Phil

Comment

Ahhh -- OK, I think I understand where you are now.

It sounds like the generic problem is "X server not starting". Typically that is caused by some problem with the video system not being automatically detected. But, if you can't get the Live CD to run, it's pretty hard to get much information about it.

You say you were able to boot to a text prompt. If you can do that again, you could enter
            Code:
            startx
            and see if the error output has any useful information.

Another approach would be to download the ISO and burn an Alternate Install CD. It runs in character mode only, so it would potentially allow you to install the OS on the Dell, and then run in text mode while we figure out which driver the Dell needs.

Comment

Thanks Dibl,

I'll try both of those later and post the results.

Phil

Comment

Working...
              X