Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems installing Kubuntu on Dell XPS laptop - cd rom drive problem?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems installing Kubuntu on Dell XPS laptop - cd rom drive problem?

Hey,

I recently got sick of Windows Vista and decided to install Kubuntu on my Dell XPS M1710 laptop. When I first burned the CD and put it in the drive, everything was fine - I even did a check of the CD and it said it was okay. However, when I actually boot it up and click the Install icon, it has real troubles reading the disc if I try to do anything - I hear constant whirring (on and off, kind of like a siren..) for anywhere between 10 seconds and 5 minutes every time I click a button. When I finally got to the part to write the partitions, it got to 15% and stopped with an error regarding my CD or CD drive being bad. This was particularly annoying, as it has completely buggered my existing Vista install as a result.

Does this sound like a hardware problem? In Windows I've occasionally had similar problems of being unable to properly read particular discs, but it's never been this major an issue. It also seems kind of odd that it verifies the whole disc successfully, boots into Linux fine, and starts messing up once the desktop is loaded. Any ideas for a way around this?

Thanks,

Joe
Working...
X