This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UUID problem in fstab after hardy install SOLVED

Clean install of hardy on its own hard drive. Kubuntu 7.10 is work system.

After installation hardy boots without problem, but Edgy stops at a 'maintenance shell' complaining that an UUID does not exist. Also complains about not being able to find special UUID ??. Flies by to fast to read.

Upon exiting the maintenance shell I can start Edgy normally. Everything works.
    The error is in line 5 of etc/fstab, "bad format', 'e2fsck'.

I have had this problem before but cannot find the solution this time.
    Any suggestions or links, please?

Re: UUID problem in fstab after hardy install

You might want to check the UUID's (universal unique identifier) in your /etc/fstab
    You can find a devices UUID like so:
    blkid /dev/sda2

Post a copy of your /etc/fstab for me

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
      fstab:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
      ## /etc/fstab: static file system information.
      #
      # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
      proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
      # /dev/hdc1
      UUID=66663d16-00b5-41b3-8a09-bdafbb326f75 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
      # /dev/hda1
      UUID=1ab264e7-a5a9-4e1d-9194-0ae36a2b4e1d /media/hda1 ext3 defaults 0 2
      # /dev/hda5
      UUID=2f8dd11a-cbee-4ec5-b014-6d67c5b0e84f /media/hda5 ext3 defaults 0 2
      # /dev/hdc2
      UUID=11e3c302-f8f5-4224-a05b-2ec9d1710110 /media/hdc2 reiserfs defaults 0 2
      # /dev/hdc3
      UUID=c4611bd2-8882-4b08-9343-fc8f512ad262 none swap sw 0 0
      /dev/hdb /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0

Error: bad format, line 5, e2fsck.

Following is an old fstab. It was valid up to Hardy installation.

#
      # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
      proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
      # /dev/hda1
      UUID=1ab264e7-a5a9-4e1d-9194-0ae36a2b4e1d / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 # 1
      # /dev/hda5
      UUID=2f8dd11a-cbee-4ec5-b014-6d67c5b0e84f /media/hda5 ext3 defaults 0 2
      /dev/hdc1
      UUID=a751e5aa-2e62-4cda-aceb-46c0903824b9 /media/hdc1 ext3 defaults 0 2
      UUID=66663d16-00b5-41b3-8a09-bdafbb326f75 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1

# /dev/hdc2
      UUID=11e3c302-f8f5-4224-a05b-2ec9d1710110 /media/hdc2 reiserfs defaults 0 2
      # /dev/hdc3
      UUID=c4611bd2-8882-4b08-9343-fc8f512ad262 none swap sw 0 0
      /dev/hdb /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0

boot up stops at maintenance shell and flags

UUID=a751e5aa-2e62-4cda-aceb-46c0903824b9 /media/hdc1

as invalid/not accessible.

Hope this helps.

Comment

The error appears to be a fsck error -- the filesystem on one of the drives is not passing its test.

I'm a little confused by some of what I see here -- not sure if I see "the" problem, or just "a" problem ....

Using a "hd_" designator for your CD ROM drive is most unusual, although not "illegal" in Linux. But the way you've done it, the CD ROM drive at /dev/hdb is inserted between the hard drives /dev/hda and /dev/hdc. I've never seen that setup before, and I don't know if it is a source of trouble or not. A default Kubuntu installation will normally set the CD ROM drive as /dev/scd0.

In your first /etc/fstab file, the drive identified as "...f75" is /dev/sdc1, with the root filesystem. In the second or "old" etc/fstab file, that same UUID is not associated with a device designation, and the UUID that you show as having a "invalid/not accessible" error is a UUID that does not appear in your newer /etc/fstab. But it is still the /dev/sdc drive/partition.

Hmmmmmmmmm!

I don't know if you chose to reformat during the Hardy installation (which would explain the changed UUID, maybe) or what has happened. But you don't want to run a system that won't pass fsck very long, with important data on it. I'd recommend you consider seriously backing up whatever is on that /dev/hdc1 hard drive/partition, and then using GParted to re-format it. If you have any hard drive utilities, you might want to run one of those on it and make sure it is reliable.

Comment

thank you for your comments. Just a few preliminary bits of info.

I did indeed re-format the hard drive partition on which Hardy is installed. Actually, I did so more than once.

The strange /dev/hdb designation for the CR-Rom somehow suddenly appear in the process or as a result of in Kunbuntu installation. It has been around for a very long time. Therefore, it could also be a remnant from Linspire.

Never had any significant problems with the CR-Rom except that once in a while after an install of an OS the system gets confudes about the /dev/hdb designation.

Finally, I had that very same (filecheck) problem appear several times with other versions of Kubuntu. It also appears only after a new install.

that's as much as I can say right now.

I'll look into it some more. I would change the CD-Rom designation if I knew how to do it safely.. I am still only a 'pseudo' mature Linux user. My knowledge is quite spotty - depending on which error I ran into in the past.

Hdc1 does not contain any valuable data. just OS.

I have a Linux SystemRescueCD x86 0.2.13 with several disk/file applications on it. don't like to use it because it always causes more problems. Never fixed one.

I use it mainly for FreeDos and as a boot disk if nothing else boots any longer.

Comment

Re: UUID problem in fstab after hardy install SOLVED

Problem solved.
            Identified offending hard drive/partition UUID and commented out.
            Hard drive UUID/partition changed after format.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
              Using a "hd_" designator for your CD ROM drive is most unusual, although not "illegal" in Linux. But the way you've done it, the CD ROM drive at /dev/hdb is inserted between the hard drives /dev/hda and /dev/hdc. I've never seen that setup before, and I don't know if it is a source of trouble or not. A default Kubuntu installation will normally set the CD ROM drive as /dev/scd0.
              Only if your drive is SCSI or SATA... those of us still in the land of parallel ATA keep our /dev/hdx designations.

Originally posted by PJJ
              Problem solved.
              Identified offending hard drive/partition UUID and commented out.
              Hard drive UUID/partition changed after format.
              Ah, UUID... the system devised so that "your partitions can always be identified even if the partition table changes"... really it was brought in as an overly complicated and flawed workaround when they changed SATA drives from /dev/hdx to /dev/sdx. I get rid of it, and make sure everything uses /dev notation.

Comment

PJJ -

You will aid others who search the Forum by returning to your first post in this thread and clicking the Modify button and adding SOLVED to the subject line.
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the reminder.
                  I thought I had done so, but it was another post.

Normally, I just add SOLDED to the subject line from any of my posts.

Comment

Hey, we all suffer when we proof our own work!
                    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                    X