This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swap on /home hard disk

I was using a Slackware 8.1 version when a disk went kaput. I'm going to reinstall with Kubuntu. One disk is 4G, the other 8. I was thinking about putting / on the 4G disk and /home on the 8G. But maybe, 4G could turn out a little bit tight. So, I was wondering if putting the swap at the beginning of the /home disk could cause problems. Are heads more likely to go back and forth this way?

Another solution would be to install / on a 5G partition on teh 8G disk, /home on the rest and /home/media (music, photos, whatever) on the 4G disk. In this case, if I want to reduce size of / , I suppose it won't be possible to integrate the space into /home and I'll have to create a new little partition. (Needless to say, I'm not very familiar with GParted.)

Thanks

Re: Swap on /home hard disk

Given the size of the two drives, I would choose to go with your second option. If you have sufficient RAM, you won't need a swap partition.

GParted is very easy to use. Plan how you want to set up your partitioning first, which you seem to have already done.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yeah, the second option. Get some opinions about the size of swap needed, but I'm under the impression that 500 MB might be fine (?). Certainly not more than 1 GB. And as Snowhog says, you might not need to actually use swap.

What is your RAM size?
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

In this case, if I want to reduce size of / , I suppose it won't be possible to integrate the space into /home and I'll have to create a new little partition. (Needless to say, I'm not very familiar with GParted.)
        You could try with swap file:
        Swap Partition FAQ
        https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq
        =>
        Example of making a swap file

This is an example of making and using a swap file on a computer with no swap partition.
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          Given the size of the two drives, I would choose to go with your second option. If you have sufficient RAM, you won't need a swap partition.
          256 Mb. It's an old, but my only, computer with a Celeron 800 CPU... but it still works and I don't want to throw it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131

You could try with swap file:
            Swap Partition FAQ
            https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq
            =>
            Example of making a swap file

This is an example of making and using a swap file on a computer with no swap partition.
            Interesting suggestion! You can modify the size of swap at will, but you can't specify the location of the file. ( I usually palce it at the beginning of the disk for a speed increase.)

In my case, if would be nice if the swap file could be mounted on /home instead of /mnt, in whcih case, it would take up more space on the / partition. Do you think it would be possible?

Comment

Originally posted by Priam

In my case, if would be nice if the swap file could be mounted on /home instead of /mnt, in whcih case, it would take up more space on the / partition. Do you think it would be possible?
              On second thoughts... Though it would certainly make for a weird mounting point, I see no reason it couldn't be mounted there.

Comment

I didn't realize you could make a file into your swap space -- thanks Rog (again)!

However, upon reflection, I don't understand how any "space-saving" can be accomplished with any of these arrangements. Whatever you pick as the swap size (I'd probably go for 300MB or so), that's how much space it's going to take, no matter where you put it. Since it appears that there's no fancy multi-booting stuff going on with this system, and considering that a typical Kubuntu installation can indeed grow to 4.5G in size, by my observation, I think maybe the straightforward thing to do would be to make 2 partitions on the 8G drive of 5GB (for "/") and 3G (for "/home) and then also make 2 on the 4G drive, sizes of 0.3G (for swap) and the rest of it for more data that won't fit in the /home partition on the larger drive. If and when swap gets used, it should be fairly speedy by using the other hard drive, and you'll have about 6.5 total space for your data. I don't see how it can get any more efficient than that.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl

However, upon reflection, I don't understand how any "space-saving" can be accomplished with any of these arrangements.
                  What I meant is that a swap file on /home instead of a swap partition on / would make more room on /, nothing more

Thnaks for your partitioning suggestions!

Comment

Working...
                  X