This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No virtual console

Since I upgraded to Gutsy, I don't have access to the virtual consoles anymore: Pressing Ctrl+Alt+x (x=1-6) gives me a black screen with a blinking cursor at the top left corner.

I've found a post in the forum explaining that tty configuration is located in a file named /etc/inittab, but I don't have this file on my system. However, I've Feisty on another computer with functional virtual consoles, but this computer doesn't have a /etc/inittab either, so the absence of this file does not seem to be the origin of the problem.

Can someone help me to solve this problem?

Many Thanks!

Re: No virtual console

(k)ubuntu doesn't use inittab anymore, upstart is used instead (the 'inittab' setups of ttys are in /etc/event.d)

However, before you start editing, you're most likely suffering from this:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ls/+bug/129910

There are several workarounds mentioned in the bug report which you can try (the simplest is to remove 'vga=xxx' option from boot options (in grub). If you wish to use framebuffer (high resolution) virtual terminals, try some of the other workarounds. I got my 1400x1050 terminals back using card specific framebuffers (radeonfb, savagefb etc.) instead of vesafb.

Comment

Thank you for the answer and the link!
      The first trick solved the problem, and I'll try the other workarounds to get higher resolution, although this is not a high priority. The important thing is to have the virtual consoles working in case of troubles with KDM

Comment

Upon observing the black screen with the blinking "_", you might want to try Alt-Fx, rather than Ctrl-Alt-Fx. I've seen that work on both ATI and Nvidia cards with the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          Upon observing the black screen with the blinking "_", you might want to try Alt-Fx, rather than Ctrl-Alt-Fx. I've seen that work on both ATI and Nvidia cards with the issue.
          Really? I'd be surprised (though it wouldn't be the first time) :P

Comment

Working...
          X