This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 7.10 64 won't boot.

I have tried several times to get 7.10 64bit working on my system, but every time I do, the install goes without a problem, it asks me to reboot, I do. It passes GRUB no problem, then just stops and the screen shuts off, not just goes blank, it shuts right off. I can't get to a command prompt, nothing.

Any ideas?

Re: Kubuntu 7.10 64 won't boot.

Would that be this? --

dibl: Topic: How to get started with no GUI
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085112.0

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg: bigpond
    http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p7.html

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Nope, that's not it. I can't get to a command prompt at all.

Thanks anyway. Any other ideas?

Comment

I had that exact same problem attempting to install Mepis 7. Do you have a newer Nvidia card? Apparently there is something triggering the "sleep" mode when it tries to switch to KDM and give you a graphical login screen. I was only able to make it work in VESA mode, out of about 8 choices they offered.

So, if you can re-run the installer and tell it to set the display as a "VESA", you might get to the point that it will give you the GUI login. Once logged in, you can download Envy and install the proprietary driver, and you should be OK.

Comment

I have an ATI card, but I will try the vesa thing anyhow.

Comment

VESA at 1024x768 seems to fly everywhere.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Is there a way to apply that during the installation?

Comment

Gosh, good question. Maybe someone has caught that one. I haven't noticed.

Comment

I don't remember the Gutsy installation routine, at least not that part of it. Unfortunately they tend to want to "auto detect" the video chip, and that is where they go wrong. But there may be a point where you can tell it NOT to auto-detect the video, and then set it to VESA.

Here's another thought -- you actually have a completely installed Kubuntu system there, just a non-functional video display. I'll bet you could boot a live CD, mount your Kubuntu partition, and change the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file by deleting "fglrx" or whatever it put in the "Device" stanza, and put "vesa" there instead. That would be easier than a reinstallation, perhaps, if it works. :P

Comment

I don't have a live cd, but I may get one and try that.

However, I did get to reconfigure the xserver-xorg through the recovery console in GRUB, the I ran starx and got to my desktop, I installed Envy, installed my ATI drivers, crossed my fingers and rebooted.

Alas, same problem, no luck there I guess.

Comment

When at the selection menu, opt to edit the desired boot option (the top one). Backspace over both, splash and quiet and adding noacpi Follow the instructions at the bottom of the screen to accept the changes and start the boot process. See if this helps.
                      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by gutty96

However, I did get to reconfigure the xserver-xorg through the recovery console in GRUB, the I ran starx and got to my desktop, I installed Envy, installed my ATI drivers, crossed my fingers and rebooted.
                        Wow, you did all the right things ... hmmmm. There are a number of "boot options" that folks are needing with these new video cards (I'm probably going to have a learning experience myself with the new GF 8800 GTX that I just ordered ...).

You might want to run a search on Ubuntu Forums with your video card model, and see if they are using "vga=791" or "irqfixup" or one of the other boot options to make it behave.

Comment

Working...
                        X