This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing 7.10 from network cd-rom

I have been looking around for a while and can't really find anything straightforward on how to do this:

I have a laptop that had a busted cd-rom, and I have a desktop computer with a working one.
    how can I install Kubuntu 7.10 on the laptop using the desktop computer's cd-rom? My internet connection is a Verizon EVDO card, so I don't what to have to install using the online/download method it will just take too long. Any help is most appreciated.

P.S. - There is no floppy drive on either machine
    Your effort to remain what you are is what limits you.

Re: Installing 7.10 from network cd-rom

Why don't you just buy one from a used computer parts store? Also, a USB external CD/DVD drive might work?

Comment

Originally posted by Gendo
      I have been looking around for a while and can't really find anything straightforward on how to do this:

I have a laptop that had a busted cd-rom, and I have a desktop computer with a working one.
      how can I install Kubuntu 7.10 on the laptop using the desktop computer's cd-rom? My internet connection is a Verizon EVDO card, so I don't what to have to install using the online/download method it will just take too long. Any help is most appreciated.

P.S. - There is no floppy drive on either machine
      Some PC's can boot from a network by changing the BIOS boot order. I have a Compaq nc 4010, where this is the only new install option.

I've seen other ways to - for instance create a partition where you put the CD contents, and ... can't remember the rest. Googling may help you.

Comment

I understand that I need to use PXE, that is fine the laptop supports it, but how to I set up the desktop to work as the server to install from the cd?
        Your effort to remain what you are is what limits you.

Comment

Originally posted by Gendo
          I understand that I need to use PXE, that is fine the laptop supports it, but how to I set up the desktop to work as the server to install from the cd?
          Google "kubuntu network install" :

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/install-ub...rom-drive.html

Comment

Working...
          X