This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black screen booting

I've just made the switch from openSuse 10.3 (getting 3D acceleration to work on my graphics card bugged me too much) and the install went well but when I boot into Kubuntu from GRUB, I just get a black screen. The hard drive LED shows activity but nothing on screen. I can get into recovery but as to what to do from here... I have no idea.

Re: Black screen booting

If it is a video issue (configuring for the right driver), and that's what the symptom suggests, here's two standard references on getting it fixed.

dibl: Topic: How to get started with no GUI
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085112.0

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg: bigpond
    http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p7.html

I'm not a video guy, but seems that VESA and 1024x768 (?) is the safe choice to get things going.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Well seems that's not the problem

I pressed Alt + F1 on the black screen and waited. The login doesn't appear. It's just a pain stakingly slow boot up but the desktop environment does finally appear. Between turning on my laptop and getting on to the desktop takes a good few minutes.

It seems to hang on recognising the Windows partitions? I also get about 7 PCI errors on the boot up screen before it turns black. Any ideas to sort this out?

Comment

I have similar issues: I try installing Kubuntu 7.10 desktop x86-64 (AMD64) and I ran into the black screen issue.

I searched for that and came across someones solution for that; the changing of the default driver from 'nv' to 'vesa' ...
        That worked a treat, but now I still can't install Gutsy Gibbon.

I see a lot of files loaded and some things being started, but in the end it stops after or during this:
        "*Running local bootscripts (/etc/rc.local)

After that, no more progress and no more HDD or CDROM data traffic

Anyone having any ideas to what can cause this ?

The HW setup is as follows; a Gigabyte P35-DS3 with a C2D E6550 on it @ stock speed and 2x 1GB OCZ Gold memory (dual channel kit).
        One HDD (tried SATA and IDE, no difference) and one IDE CDROM drive.
        A Zalman CNPS-7000Cu with special Zalman mounting kit (for 775 socket).

Comment

Working...
        X