X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgraded from Feisty yesterday

Machine is:
    ASUS A8V, Ath64 4800+ X2, 1GB DDR, AGP Geforce6800.

All was fine from the beginning to the end, looks like the cursed upgrades ended at 6.10.
    There was just 1 flaw: 7.10 already brings Texlive as the default typesetting system. I had Tetex installed, and at some point the installation said there were errors with Tetex/Texlive (don't remember precisely what was that), but after all the downloads, Texlive installed and is running fine. Some legacy packages, like tetex-base and tetex-extra are left as transitional, but could be safely removed.
    I didn't explore much of the new system, just used it for a few hours. Had little to no intervention while the packages were being downloaded and installed.
    Just the medibuntu repos, I had to manually remove them, because the download would not start with the entries in the sources.list.
    But there was an annoyance after the reboot: the damn "udevd" writing tons of errors to /var/log/kern.log.
    Uninstalling "evms" solved the problem, as suggested in many sites. A regular user would not be aware of that, and this is one major issue with this upgrade.

Re: Upgraded from Feisty yesterday

I was sure it would be just a matter of time to find the broken stuff in the new distro.
    Maybe you guys had this experience. After upgrading, I can't mount the 2 NTFS partitions in my disk, as a regular user. The "fstab" entries for the 3 windows partitions are:

Code:
    UUID=c87ece95-4786-428d-9f90-30cac17be9ea / ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
    /dev/hda1 /media/hda1 ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46,noauto,ro,user 0 1
    /dev/hda3 /media/hda3 ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46,noauto,ro,user 0 1
    /dev/hda5 /media/hda5 vfat defaults,utf8,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46,noauto,rw,user 0 1
    HDA5 (Fat32) mounts correctly through the icon in Storage Media, but trying to mount either of the NTFS partitions says "Permission Denied".
    WTH This just worked for almost a year, now it doesn't work?

Comment

Re: Upgraded from Feisty yesterday

Open Adept Manager and check that ntfs-3g is installed. If you want a GUI frontend for managing NTFS drives, install ntfs-config (which will install ntfs-3g):
      ntfs-config
      Enable/disable write support for any NTFS devices
      This program allow you to easily configure all of your NTFS devices to allow write support via a friendly gui. For that use, it will configure them to use the open source ntfs-3g driver. You'll also be able to easily disable this feature.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
      X