X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't get Kubuntu to start up!

Hello everyone!
    I'm brand new to Linux and to Ubuntu/Kubuntu. I'm having a little trouble booting up Kubuntu.My computer loads it up and once the bar reaches the end (finished loading), I hear the startup sound for Kubuntu, and the screen stays blank. I tried waiting, but nothing happens. The screen stays black.
    I'm using an eMac with a 1.42 GHz PPC CPU. I have 1 GB of RAM and my Graphics Card if an ATI Radeon 9600 with 64 MB of memory, so I doubt my computer doesn't have enough recourses to run it. I'm using Kubuntu version 7.10. I don't know why it wouldn't work, and I had the same problem when trying to boot up the ordinary Ubuntu.

Thanks in advance,
    Dustin

Re: I can't get Kubuntu to start up!

Please clarify. First, are you using the LiveCD or the Alternate CD. Once you boot the CD, how far into the process do you get? Do you actually get to the first menu from the CD? Do you ever get to the Desktop (assuming you are using the LiveCD)? If you do get to the Desktop, is your problem occurring after you select to Install from the Desktop?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'm using the LiveCD. Once I'm in the loading process (where you see "Kubunu", the Kubuntu Logo, and the progress bar), the bar bounces back and forth. Then, it stops bouncing, and the bar starts to fill up. Once it is done, the screen goes black and I hear the startup sound a few moments later, and the screen stays black.

Comment

Okay. Bear with an 'old guy' in this:

1 - Did you get to the first menu? yes/no If 'yes',
        2 - Did you get to the Desktop? yes/no If 'no',
        3 - Reboot from the LiveCD and at the main menu press 'e' (read the info at the bottom of the screen for the exact key to press) to edit the boot kernel line. You want to backspace over the splash and quiet parameters and then press enter to continue. This will allow you to see all the boot messages that are taking place. Note the last message displayed before you get when the boot process 'hangs' and report back.

Comment

1 - I don't know what menu you are talking about. If you are talking about the first screen you get at startup, it's not a "menu" type of screen. The Intel LiveCD is different than the PowerPC disc. In PowerPC LiveCD, you get a sort of command line. To get to the Kubuntu desktop, you type "live" or just hit enter, and you get the loader.

2 - No, I did not get to the desktop, although I think the computer may have been, because I heard the startup noise after everything was done loading.

3 - I don't get a main menu, so pressing "e" would type an "e" in the command line.

I am using the LiveCD, just to clarify. I get the same screen when using Ubuntu 7.04, but there, I actually get the desktop.

I will post back after I try booting up again to try to catch anything I may have missed.

Thanks for everything,
          Dustin

Comment

So this 'old' dog has learn't something. The LiveCD you get for a Mac is different than those for the i386 architecture. Does that mean you are running an older Mac with the 'other' (non-Intel) processor?

Comment

Yes, the PowerPC disc is different then the Intel disc. I am running an "old" Mac (if the criteria for "old" is having a PowerPC processor).

I tried again, but nothing different happened. (Although, I tried pressing Control+Alt+Delete, and the computer tuned off. So I guess Kubuntu is "working", but there is no video.

Comment

If you were running a PC, I'd be inclined (and still am, even with your eMac) to say the problem is with the video card. Using an i386 LiveCD, the Ctrl+Alt+F1 key sequence gets you to the command line, from where steps can be taken to 'resolve' (if possible) the video conflict.

Were/are there any instructions on your CD that may provide the steps to get to the command line?

Comment

I don't think the video card is the problem, because I have previously used Ubuntu 7.04 with the same computer. I will try to type Control+Alt+F1 to see if I get a command line.

I downloaded this CD from one of the servers that carries the official Ubuntu/Kubuntu ports. The site is http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/po.../7.10/release/.

Comment

Control+Alt+F1 does give me the command line! I pressed it while it was loading up Kubuntu. Everything was "OK", but later, it gave me a whole bunch of messages...
                    [162.067117] bcm43xx: Error: Microcode "bcm43xx_microcode.fw" Not available or load failed
                    [185.331540] bcm43xx: Error: Microcode "bcm43xx_microcode.fw" Not available or load failed
                    [208.589029] bcm43xx: Error: Microcode "bcm43xx_microcode.fw" Not available or load failed
                    [231.811856] bcm43xx: Error: Microcode "bcm43xx_microcode.fw" Not available or load failed
                    [255.031499] bcm43xx: Error: Microcode "bcm43xx_microcode.fw" Not available or load failed
                    [278.251346] bcm43xx: Error: Microcode "bcm43xx_microcode.fw" Not available or load failed

I have no idea what this means.

Comment

So then, what I would suggest, is trying your typed command when you have booted normally, and you get the black screen. See if you are presented with a proper command line prompt.

Comment

I don't know what you want me to type. Do I type it in the boot up command line or the command line I get using Control Alt F1?

Comment

Sorry. Misread your post. You should try the Ctrl+Alt+F1 key sequence (pressing all at the same time) when you get the 'black screen' and not before. Again, on an Intel processor, when a user is presented with a black screen (and never sees the Desktop) this breaks the user to the command line prompt.

Comment

Have you tried some of the standard stuff when getting a blank screen?

dibl: Topic: How to get started with no GUI
                            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085112.0

And, if you need more on it:
                            Configuring X, How-To:
                            sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg: bigpond
                            http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p7.html
                            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Allright,
                              I configured the X-server correctly and once the config was complete, I typed "startx". Then, it gave me a message saying...

Xauth: Creating new authority file /home/ubuntu/serverauth.9501

Fatal server error:
                              Server is already active for display 0
                              If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0 lock
                              and start again.

Comment

Working...
                              X