• Show
Clear All

booting from Gutsy DVD hangs

Configuration:
    AMD AM2 5200+
    ASROCK nForce 520
    2 SATA Disks (md raid 1)
    1 IDE Disk

I tried to recover a broken installation on my system.
    to prevent accidential access to an IDE drive I just plugged of the powercord of the IDE disk (IDE Cable still plugged).
    As long as the IDE cable is plugged in the IDE drive I can't boot from the ubuntu or kubuntu DVDs.
    The Text installer hangs during apt-mirror-setup (or similar).

peter

Re: booting from Gutsy DVD hangs

Originally posted by d-kick
    Configuration:
    AMD AM2 5200+
    ASROCK nForce 520
    2 SATA Disks (md raid 1)
    1 IDE Disk

I tried to recover a broken installation on my system.
    to prevent accidential access to an IDE drive I just plugged of the powercord of the IDE disk (IDE Cable still plugged).
    As long as the IDE cable is plugged in the IDE drive I can't boot from the ubuntu or kubuntu DVDs.
    The Text installer hangs during apt-mirror-setup (or similar).

peter
    Apart from the obvious BIOS boot settings - how about the IDE disk and the DVD is on the same cable, and the DVD is set as slave? That would lead to the DVD not booting at all.

Or - to remove the drive from IDE channel 1, will change the number of the DVD drive on IDE 2. That would make you able to boot the DVD, but then the Kubuntu install or whatever tool you are using can't find it, because it has taken the priority of the IDE drive. (C: D: in windows talk)

Another thing - it seems most problems of this kind is simply a bad CD/DVD. Boot and test it if you have not done that already.

Comment

One more thing to try in case you haven't already is the alternate cd. I am a big believer in it since I had some trouble loading a few machines. I no longer even use the others any more.

Comment

But if you are only wanting to 'test out' *ubuntu, you need to use the LiveCD. The alternate CD/DVD does not have a run as LiveCD function (as I've been informed by others). So if ones aim is to test before installing, you want to stick with the LiveCD.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X