X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 7.10 and LVM

Hello-
    I just got 7.10 to install on my Linux machine using the alternate CD, and I (probably wrongly) picked the LVM option when doing the partitioning. I can't seem to find how to use the LVM now....it's found a 130g partition on my second hard drive and has it identified in the disc's & filesystems as /proc and shows a mount point of /media/fd0, which is way wrong....I'm unable to access the files on there or mount it in a usable way. If someone could help me with this I'd be grateful.
    The second disc has a Linux system on it, I have some files in there I'd rather not lose...

Thanks!

Re: Kubuntu 7.10 and LVM

Make yourself a GParted Live CD, by downloading and burning the ISO image from here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=173828

Boot the GParted Live CD, and then use that for setting/changing partitions and filesystem types. Use the Kubuntu Live CD or Alternate CD to install Kubuntu, but not to do partitioning, and you should be OK.

If you need to copy or move files on the second hard drive, you can use a Kubuntu Live CD or any Live CD (there are many).

Comment

Thanks for the help-
      Am I understanding you correctly to say that using GParted to boot and change the type of the partition on HDB5 to ext3, it will show up under discs and filesystems in KDE and I can then mount it where I want? Or, do i have to change the partition type and reinstall kubuntu?

Thanks again-

Comment

Originally posted by davitt

Am I understanding you correctly to say that using GParted to boot and change the type of the partition on HDB5 to ext3, it will show up under discs and filesystems in KDE and I can then mount it where I want? Or, do i have to change the partition type and reinstall kubuntu?

Thanks again-
        I'm trying to say a couple of things, I guess, and doing so kind of in the blind, as far as your exact hard drive/partitioning layout:

1. A GParted Live CD is preferable, IMHO, as a tool to view and partition your hard drives. At various times *buntu has used QTParted and older versions of GParted as the integrated partitioner, and I've come to the view that, especially for newer users, it is better to just boot a GParted Live CD and focus on the partitioning task as a separate matter from installing the OS. It can be a bit daunting, and doing it as a stand-alone task seems to raise the chances of getting it right, prior to dealing with the OS installation.

2. If /dev/hdb5 is where you installed, or attempted to install Kubuntu, then yes, change it to ext3 filesystem type and format it. But, where is your swap file, and are you planning to put all of Kubuntu, including your /home directory, in a single partition? There are good reasons to make /home a separate partition, unless you're just experimenting/playing and don't plan to put important data in your Linux system. See here.

3. Assuming #2 above means some things need to change, then yes, you'll be reinstalling Kubuntu. In that regard, may I recommend the Alternate Install CD? It lets you step through the process with a little more control on each step. But, you can do it with Live CD too.

Comment

hello again-
          My kubuntu installation is on HDA, and working fine. the swap is hda3 I believe.
          So Gparted should be able to make the HDB partitions accessible, right? I'd rather not reinstall the whole thing if possible.
          When I used the alternate cd to install, I guess I assumed that the LVM would be easy to handle and would put my partitions in one place....I may be correct but I'll be darned if I can find how to access them from a GUI.
          Is the assumption that gparted is going to wipe the data in that partition correct? In which case I need to move some stuff off there beforehand with a live cd if possible, unless I've already screwed it up and it doesn't exist anymore.

Thanks-

Comment

Hmmmm.

OK, well maybe I have led you astray, if Kubuntu is "working fine". But, you say you can't see your other drive and partitions, so that's not so fine, huh?

I personally have not used *buntu's LVM, so I don't know what to tell you about that. I can tell you it probably was not the way to install the system .... :P

I hesitate to make recommendations when I'm uncertain exactly what you have in the system, but if it were as simple as editing the /etc/fstab file, to set up the mount point for /dev/hdb1, then that's not a difficult thing to do.

BTW, the "Disks & Filesystems" utility is not the world's most reliable tool for working with ... disks & filesystems. :-X

If you can open the console and enter
            Code:
            df -h
            and enter the output of that, and also copy and post the contents of /etc/fstab and post that, maybe it will become more clear what needs to change. To get the /etc/fstab contents, just do Alt-F2 and enter
            Code:
            kate /etc/fstab
            and then copy it and paste into your reply here.

Comment

Working...
            X