This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 7.10 hangs after select "install"

Ok, I've checked around and haven't found anything...

I'm able to burn the ISO to an image disc that boots, that part is fine. I am then presented with the first menu of options. From it, I choose to install. The DVD begins to whirl and doesn't stop. I let it go for like 20 minutes one time. I've tried about 5 different CD and DVD's all burned with good software and at a slow (4x) speed. I've already ordered the shipit cd's, but am anxious to get it installed. Oh, and if I select the help option (or any of the function keys, for that matter), my system shuts down within a matter of seconds.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Kubuntu 7.10 hangs after select "install"

You'll need to provide us with your system specs. That will help in identifying the possible problem and solution(s). PC manufacture/model (desktop/laptop); currently installed operating system; monitor type (CRT/LCD); video card/chip manufacture/model; number and type of internal HDs (IDE,SATA,PATA,...); audio card/chip manufacture/model; any external devices and how connected.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'm trying to install it on a Gateway MX6445 Laptop currently running Windows XP media center. It has a Turion AMD 64. The only external device that I have connected is a Logitech USB mouse. I'm not sure about audio and video card type.

Comment

Ok, I just read another post of a user looking for help and I realized that I need to include more info to help you guys to help me... sorry, my bad...

so here goes:

Processor AMD Turion™ 64 Mobile Technology ML-34
        Operates at 1.8 GHz | 1 MB L2 Cache
        HyperTransport™ technology at up to 1600 MHz
        Screen 15.4-inch Widescreen Ultrabright WXGA TFT
        Chipset ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset (RS482M)
        Memory 1024 MB DDR 333 MHz (2 × 512) PC2700
        Expandable to 2 GB
        Total Slots: 2 DDR2 Slots | Available Slots: 0 DDR2 Slots
        Video ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Integrated Chipset with Radeon® X300 Based Integrated Graphics
        64 MB shared video memory
        Audio AC '97 2.3 Compliant Audio
        Built-in speakers
        Hard Drive 120 GB hard drive (4200 RPM)
        Optical Drive DVD+/-RW Multi-Format Double Layer (up to 8.5 GB)
        Write maximum: 8X DVD +/-R, 6X DVD-RW, 8X DVD+RW, 2X DVD-R DL, 2.4X DVD+R DL, 24X CD-R and 16X CD-RW
        Read maximum: 24X CD-R/RW/ROM, 8X DVD-R/RW/ROM, 4X DVD+/-R DL, RAM

Media Reader 4-in-1 Digital Media Manager
        Secure Digital (SD), Memory Stick, Memory Stick-Pro, and Multimedia card (MMC)
        Modem 56K ITU V.92 ready Fax/Modem
        Network 10/100 Mbps built-in Ethernet
        802.11g Wireless LAN (up to 54 Mbps)
        SecureEasySetup™, 125 High Speed Mode
        Interfaces 4 - USB 2.0 Ports
        1 - VGA External Connector
        1 - IEEE 1394 port
        1 - RJ11
        1 - RJ45
        Microphone In
        Headphone / Audio Out

Pointing Device Touchpad with Vertical Scroll Zone
        PCMCIA 1 - Type I or Type II; Card Bus
        Battery 6-cell Lithium-ion

Comment

The 'kitchen sink' minus.

What type of keyboard and mouse connection? USB, PS/2, Wireless, or ...

Comment

OK, well, now I appear to be answering my own questions. I have compared hashes and it seems that something is wrong with my ISO download. Which makes sense, because I've never done this before and the process has been hazy, at best. I don't know what I could have done wrong, though, as I simply clicked on the links found at the download section of the Kubuntu site. There, I've tried both the "normal" download and the a torrent download as well. I don't understand how to convert the torrent file into a usable ISO, although I have BitTorrent installed on my machine. I've only tried the LivdCD amd64 version.

p.s. thanks for the patience!

Comment

I have found a ISO file that whose hash matches via Md5Sum. I burned it to a DVD using ImgBurn. Right before the verification process began, the tray ejected. I pushed it back in and the verification process started and concluded successfully. However, when I opened the new DVD to view the contents in Windows, I noticed that there were still files to be written to the DVD. Most of them were 0KB, which I thought was odd. But stranger still was filesystem.squashfs. On the actual DVD it is showing 654,544 KB and the file claiming that it still needs to be written to the DVD (yes, it seems like a duplicate file) shows 155,887 KB. I've burned the same ISO using other software with the same result. I wonder if it's the DVDs I'm using. Although I seem to be getting closer, I just don't know what it could be. It's probably going to be something equal parts simple and embarrassing.

Comment

Talking to myself has proved productive. Problem solved. Now on to wireless issues.

Comment

Elaborate?? Was it as simple as a bad burn of the CD?

Comment

Working...
                  X