X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kunbuntu install on HP dv6605

Originally posted by jambak
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    debconf: DbDriver "config": /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by another process: Resource temporarily unavailable

I can't get into xserver

To give a simple answer:
    will
    1. First do the repartitioning advised above.

2. Boot from CD - if possible with wired, Ethernet network Internet available. If you still live in the Windows world, it is quite amazing how clever modern Linux varieties are to connect to the Internet way before you have any graphical desktop.*

2b. If you don't have wired Internet available, try booting from CD, wait a little, and try opening the browser - Konqueror to see. If it works, you are fine.

3. Install - be sure to select the new partition.

4. If there is Internet, my guess is, 7.10 will find the appropriate NVIDIA driver, and your only problem may be fixing the wireless.

5. You may be better helped asking about that in the "Help the new guy" section. The answers tend to not assume you know something about Linux, Kubuntu, KDE, Samba and so on.

* Last summer I installed on an oldish Lifebook with PCMCIA WIFI. I did not then know how important Internet connection is for the install. OK, the CD booted, I clicked on the desktop Install icon, followed the instructions, waited, and rebooted. Everything fine - except no lights for the WIFI.

Well, it was dinnertime, so I left the laptop on the north side veranda. When I came back, expecting a hell of trouble, I found the red triangle that offer to update. (More clever than Windows update, as the programs are included too.)

Without thinking that this needs Internet, I clicked, gave my password, and lo and behold: The downloads started.

Comment

Working...
    X