X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow Boot

Hi,

Boot is very slow on my pc (dell9150 dualcore 2,8 & 2 gig memory). It takes more than 2'20" before I can use my pc. With Feisty my pc needed no more than 50' to start up. I've seen on the ubuntu forums they have the same problem too, however here on the Kubuntu forum it seems I'm the only one with this problem. My sons laptop is also very slow booting.

What I did so far is:

remove compiz: no result
    reconfigure xorg.conf: no result
    made a new user and compare boot time: no result

I don't think that I'm the only one with this problem.

Anyone?

CantoDea

ps: reinstalling is no option at this moment.
    Main system: Dell Studio XPS 8100 with Kubuntu 10.04<br />Main system: Dell Inspiron 1720 with Ubuntu 10.04<br />Second system: Acer Aspire 1500 with Ubuntu 10.04<br />Third system: Dell Dimension Desktop with Kubuntu 10.04 and Windows Vista<br />Fourth system: Dell Inspiron with Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows Vista

Re: Slow Boot

In boot>grub>menu.lst go to the line that says kernel and remove the quiet splash, that will tell you while booting what your pc is doing

You should have it looking something like this

Code:
    title      Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
    root      (hd0,0)
    kernel     /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=d0dfaf77-40c1-40dd-965e-576463249161 ro
    initrd     /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
    quiet
    then grab a piece of paper and pencil, write down where the machine gets stuck and post it

Comment

Re: Slow Boot

Hi,

It takes 35' to KDM, then it takes allmost 2 minutes before I can see the desktop. So booting to Kdm is speedy.
      Main system: Dell Studio XPS 8100 with Kubuntu 10.04<br />Main system: Dell Inspiron 1720 with Ubuntu 10.04<br />Second system: Acer Aspire 1500 with Ubuntu 10.04<br />Third system: Dell Dimension Desktop with Kubuntu 10.04 and Windows Vista<br />Fourth system: Dell Inspiron with Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows Vista

Comment

Working...
      X