This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New and needing help with install

While trying to install Kubuntu 7.10, it repeatedly hangs at 89% "checking packages to remove". It wil not go any further. I had the same problem with Ubuntu 7.10, hangs at 89% "checking packages to remove". Any ideas what I can do to get around this? I am new to both so if anyone can give me some step by step instructions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Re: New and needing help with install

Most of these "install hangs at xx%" issues turn out to be bad CD burns. I'll speculate that you burned both those CDs on the same burner with the same software. :P

You need to burn the ISO image at 4X speed, and if that doesn't work, you might want to try a different blank media brand and/or a different burner. *buntu is VERY picky about the quality of the CD image, for some reason. You can't even trust the output of "check CD" entirely -- it can give "false negatives".

Comment

I wish I could narrow it down to the same burner. I did them on two different machines, but did use the same brand of cd. I burned on at 4x, the other at 8x. Perhaps I will try a different brand of cd. Could I use a dvd instead. I guess if all else fails, I will wait for the disks that I ordered and try that.

Comment

There is a DVD image - I think you have to use bitorrent to get it. I've never tried it -- I guess I'm blessed with my cheap old Asus CD/DVD drive.

Comment

If you still have windows XP go to cnet.com and download active iso burner, it's a windows program.I have burned ISO images with this program all the way to 32x without problems, it is a free program without limits, also it can burn DVD's and/or CDr's

Comment

I have used 3 different burners, and 3 different programs to burn them. Two different brands of cd/dvd and all hang at 89%. Maybe I have a bad download. I ordered a livecd so I may just wait on that. How difficult is the alternate installation cd for someone who is new?

Comment

The tricky part in the alternative install is the partitioning. If you are using one separate disk for linux, there is no problem, just tell it which disk to use. If you have to partition your HD just remember to read what the setup programme is saying. It is not complicated, but if you don't know what you are doing just be careful. remember to add a swap partition and your root partition which should be mounted at "/"

If you have any important data in your disk, make a backup prior to installing *buntu, just in case you make a mistake somewhere. This is a nice how to

http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntustudio_7.04

Comment

Working...
              X