This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation issues on Inspiron 1100

When attempting to install Gutsy from Dapper, and whenever I start the installer, it just freezes and doesn't do anything. What's going on?

Re: Installation issues on Inspiron 1100

Originally posted by punkn00dlez

When attempting to install Gutsy from Dapper

What does this mean? There's no upgrade to Gutsy from Dapper, at least not directly. :P

Maybe some help here: http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/10/...-gutsy-gibbon/

Comment

Sorry, I should have worded it better. I have Dapper on my laptop now, I want to wipe it and install Gutsy. And another thing, when it doesn't freeze, it always starts up into something that resembles the terminal.

Comment

Originally posted by punkn00dlez

I have Dapper on my laptop now, I want to wipe it and install Gutsy.
        If your "/home" directory is on a separate partition from the rest of the filesystem, then the simplest approach, in my opinion, would be to make a Gutsy Alternate Install CD, and use that to install Gutsy on the partition where the Dapper "/" is, and make sure and mount "/home" on the appropriate partition where you have it.

And another thing, when it doesn't freeze, it always starts up into something that resembles the terminal.
        Well, let's don't bother fixing Dapper if you're going to replace it with Gutsy.

Comment

No, it freezes when loading the install cd on boot. (Reads CD-ROM first, shows screen where it asks you what you want to do, then it will either freeze or show the command line). I don't know why, and being quite a novice, I have no idea what to do. I had no problems installing dapper and I don't have any issues with it now, I just want to see what's different on the new one.

Comment

It sounds like failure to auto-detect your graphics chip correctly. If that is the case, then it isn't really "frozen", it's just not running the X server. You can verify if this is the case: wait until it is frozen, then do "Alt-SysRq r s e i u b". In other words, hold down the Alt and the SysRq keys together, and tap the other keys in sequence. If your computer shuts down and reboots, you'll know it was the video thing.

Here's how to deal with the video issue, once you have installed Gutsy:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085112.0

That will get you a basic GUI. Then, depending on your graphics chip, you might choose to find a proprietary driver for it.

Comment

Working...
            X