Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[RESOLVED]Installed KDE-Desktop - Still using Gnome?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED]Installed KDE-Desktop - Still using Gnome?

Hi Everyone, I have a functioning Ubuntu Studio Gutsy system, and I'm a little fed up with Gnome, so I wanted to try out KDE Desktop.

I installed the KDE-DESKTOP package using Synaptic, and I'm getting the Kubuntu splash screen, logon and logoff, but my desktop screen hasn't changed to what I saw in the screenshots on the Kubuntu Wiki.

Is this just a matter of switching themes, or are there other steps I need to take to switch over?

Thanks everyone!

Re: Installed KDE-Desktop - Still using Gnome?

First, to get the full Kubuntu experience, you should install the package kubuntu-desktop..This will get you the full setup, settings, and extras found in Kubuntu.

Now, when you log in, you need to specify which desktop you wish to log in to. In the login area, there is a button at the bottom right corner, you will need to click that, go to session type and choose kde. After you do this, you should get the Kubuntu desktop. The default behavior is to log in to the previous logged-in desktop, and in your case that was the Ubuntu (gnome) one.

Comment

Re: Installed KDE-Desktop - Still using Gnome?

Thanks, I'll bet that's what it is - I just checked and I actually did install the KUBUNTU-DESKTOP package, if it's defaulting to my last session, then that's got to be why I'm getting gnome.

I'm downloading the full kubuntu cd right now, when I'm done I'll restart and check out my logon screen more closely.

Comment

Re: [RESOLVED]Installed KDE-Desktop - Still using Gnome?

Thanks again, that worked! At the logon screen, I just selected KDE session and when I logged in I was under KDE.

Comment

Working...
        X