This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System settings issue

I have an Intel dual core system with the builtin 865 video chip set. I am having severe video issues again. I had the same thing with 7.04. I even purchased a new monitor thinking my old Sylvania L17 was the issue. Now I have a fresh new Acer P223W that doesn't work.

I am about to start my 5th full reinstall of 7.10. Fortunately I have great backups - fingers crossed.

It appears that my trouble all starts when I use the System Settings to make any monitor/display changes such as setting the power management to 1 hour instead of the default 45 minutes. The next reboot and I'm screwed. System starts as normal and I get the nice blue Kubuntu splash screen with the progress bar. I then get a black screen with the hollow x in the middle. In about 5 seconds this changes to the black screen of death with the occassional flicker of the x showing. If I press and release the power button on the computer it goes into a nice Kubuntu shutdown splash screen with the progress bar and powers off.

I have tried all the various recommendations for reconfiguring xserver and none of them work. This is getting very aggravating. I realize that most Kubuntu work is done by volunteers, but it seems bad when the same serious bug appears in 2 releases. I'll try a complete rebuild and see what happens if I don't touch System Settings for the monitor/display.
    An old mainframer trying to get modern in his retirement.

Re: System settings issue

That should definately NOT be happening, why dint you report a but at https://launchpad.net/ ? You might want to make a backup copy of your xorg.conf file and if you decide to change the monitor/display settings and alkl hell breaks loose again, you could always go back to the backup file

Juan

Comment

Working...
    X