This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu x64 won't boot into graphic interface

I did a clean Kubuntu install through my DVD into one of the HDs in my intel Core 2 Extreme machine.

At first, the regular version woulnd't work, the screen would stay black. So I downloaded the alternate version and did the install in text mode.

Installation went well, no errors. When I first booted up through the HD, the screen goes black again and there's nothing. It's not that the monitor gets into hibernation - it's stays on, but there's nothing being shown.

I then boot Kubuntu in rescue mode and I finaly can see something - the prompt. Now what do I do? Can anyone give me a step-by-step list of commands that would make Kubuntu boot in graphic mode?

My video card is a nVidia 8800 GTX with 768Mb RAM.

Thanks!!!

Re: Kubuntu x64 won't boot into graphic interface

Cool -- the only other guy on the forum with my CPU -- welcome!

Here, I wrote this just for you:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085112.0

Any problems with it -- just ask. Once you get the VESA display running, then download and install Envy to get the newest Nvidia driver, by following this:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3086232.0

Comment

Hey right on man! Thanks for the super quick reply. I'll read the posts at the the links you posted above and let you know how it goes.

BTW this CPU rocks! This computer is so fast, I can throw anything at it, it won't even break a sweat. I have 4Gb RAM (soon to be 8Gb) and it's very stable running at 3.34GHz and 1500 front bus.

Anyways... Thanks again, I'll post updates here.

Comment

Originally posted by keforex

I have 4Gb RAM (soon to be 8Gb) and it's very stable running at 3.34GHz and 1500 front bus.
        Heh heh heh -- you oc'd yours, too, huh? Yep, mine's been running a full year now at 3.3GHz, no problems.

I dunno what you're going to do with more than 4GB of RAM -- I've never got my 4GB very busy, to be honest -- I think I'd have to run Vista to need it. Probably could have done fine with only 2.

Comment

Well, I'll put 8Gb because I also use Windows Vista Ultimate x64 - which BTW is where I am typing this right now because I had a few problems following those instructions - here we go:

1 - Alt-F1 and/or Ctrl-Alt-F1 didn't work, so I rebooted in rescue mode.

2 - When in rescue mode, I get the terminal prompt. I followed all the instructions during the editing of the xserver-xorg through that sudo command "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg"

3 - After I was dumped back to the terminal, I typed startx and I got the following messages:
          3 xauth lines that said something that was done
          and then
          "X: user not authorized to run xserver, aborting."
          "giving up"
          "xinit:connection refused (errorno 111)"

...and I couldn't go any further. Any advices? Thanks!!

Comment

Errrrr. You may suffering "brand new hardware in Linux" syndrome. :P

I found this -- it says it's for a GTS. There have been some issues with the 8800 cards -- I think it's just because work on the Linux drivers lags behind the Windows drivers.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=598145

Also, I'm vaguely remembering that there's a boot option needed in the /etc/menu.lst boot line for that card. I'll look around ...

EDIT: Ahhh, I just read the whole thing. DON'T install GDM or ubuntu-desktop! But, I think maybe that "remove splash" in the boot line of /boot/grub/menu.lst might be what you need.

EDIT #2: Before doing anything else, why don't you try the dpkg-reconfigure script again, same as before, EXCEPT on the second question, choose "nv" instead of "VESA" -- that MIGHT work well enough to get you a GUI login. :P

Comment

Well good news. I am typing this on firefox in Kubuntu

The culprit was the "nv" option.

Also, I think it's important to mention on that step-by-step post that in order for the command "startx" to work, the user has to be at root console. I was at the user console, that's why I did get a lot of error messages.

Now to the next step which is having the correct nVidia drivers installed, and making my two monitors work at the same time as extended desktop.

Main: HP LP3065 (30") at 2560x1600
              Secondary: Acer AL1931 (19") at 1280x1024

I have a feeling that this is going to take time and be somewhat painful.....

BTW thanks again for all the help!!

Comment

Excellent!

Yes, go ahead and follow the instructions to download Envy and install the proprietary Nvidia driver.

When you are done, you will know it because Envy will restart the X server for you, and you will see a black and green Nvida splash screen right before your login screen.

Then, you have 2 more steps before you're ready to launch the "dual screen" adventure (which I can't help you with -- I only have one).

Code:
                sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --composite
                this will enable glx and compositing, and will result in another restart of the X server

Code:
                sudo nvidia-settings
                this will launch the Nvidia settings utility, in which you can set your resolution and refresh rate, and probably detect both displays too. So do this with both monitors connected. When you are done, you will click the "Save To X Configuration File" button, and save it, and it will become the default setup. You won't need to use "sudo" again to run it, unless you need to change the defaults.

8)

When you have everything else perfect, ask about overclocking your Nvidia card.

Comment

It ended up being easier than I thought, but it took a long time because I didn't understand the basic linux concepts - like what does root means in linux and the way it sees files and folders.

I ended up being able to install the control panel for the nvidia drivers using the driver installation procedure but what made me lose a lot of time was the fact that the package I downloaded from the nvidia site only runs correctly when invoked as user, not root.

After that, I had to use adept manager to install other nvidia components necessary to the driver package compilation. Why? Because since I had to be in rescue mode, for some reason the computer was not connected to the internet - i.e. impossible for the nvidea driver install app to go get what it needs online.

It was quite a PITA but now I am up and running with two monitors working. The extended desktop doesn't work as nicely as in Windows, because you either have a cloned screen or you have and extension that only takes the space of the smaller monitor. I guess it would work better with two screens of the same size.

In any case, I wouldn't be able to have done this without the help of this forum, and especially dibl that replied so fast, so many thanks dude!!

Now to the next phase... enhancing the eye candy.... there's always a next step... I hope this one won't be so frustrating

EDIT: Oh yeah... and BTW how do I overclock my nvidia card?.... my Motherboard is the Asus P5K3 Deluxe. 8) 8)

EDIT #2: I can only load the graphic interface if I go into rescue mode, log in, log out and then type "exit". I see the nvidia splash screen doing that.

If I just boot the machine in normal mode, the screen stays black. What's wrong?

Comment

My graphic interface still won't load!!!.... This is getting very frustrating.

1 - Nvidia drivers are installed. Done through Envy.

2 - My "disabled_modules" parameter in /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common file has "nv nvidia_new"

PS - When I type "startx" under rescue mode as root, the nvidia splash screen appears and the interface is loaded. But nothing happens on a normal boot.

HEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP me out of this HEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLL please!!!!

I don't know what else to do besides shooting the screen.

Comment

Anyone?? Please HELP!!!

Comment

Originally posted by keforex

what does root means in linux
                        This is a source of concern to me, regarding what you did and how you did it. There are exactly zero reasons to become root during the installation of the Nvidia driver. You use "sudo" to run Envy in the terminal, but that's as close to root as you should need to get.

After that, I had to use adept manager to install other nvidia components necessary to the driver package compilation.
                        What? Compilation? There was no need to compile anything, if you used Envy to install the driver --- not sure what the heck you compiled, or why....

EDIT: Oh yeah... and BTW how do I overclock my nvidia card?.... my Motherboard is the Asus P5K3 Deluxe. 8) 8)
                        It's pretty easy, but you gotta have a basic functioning driver installation (for the user, not just root).

Can you log in to that system as a user? If the GUI won't start, can you Alt-F1, or Ctrl-Alt-F1 to a text screen, and log in there? If "YES", then do that, and run
                        Code:
                        sudo envy -t
                        and let it install the Nvidia driver that way. Then when it restarts the X server, you should get a normal user login that works.

Comment

Working...
                        X