This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: nvidia drivers not working

Reconfigure Xorg again, this time try the "nv" driver.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Thank you guys so much... I reconfigured with the 'nv' driver and it's up and running!

Now as long as you're here reading... Is there a simple way to turn up the refresh rate? The pulldown in System Settings -> Monitor and Display won't let me do it, and 60Hz hurts my eyes (no pun intended).

EDIT:
      xorg.conf correctly displays refresh ranges from 43-85 Hz.

Comment

In System Settings, click the Monitor & Display button; then, click the Administrator Mode... button in the bottom right of the window (type your password when prompted). Click the Hardware tab and then the Configure... button in the Graphics card: section. Choose the make and model of your card (if it is autodetected properly, which it probably is, just tell it to use that). Then, do the same in the Monitor #1: section. Apply the settings, save and exit any open windows, and restart Xserver (Ctrl+Alt+Backspace). Then, go back into System Settings -> Monitor & Display and you'll probably be able to adjust the settings a little better.

As long as you aren't planning on running Compiz or playing games, you should be fine running the nv driver (it's a free driver for Nvidia cards, but doesn't support 3D Acceleration; the proprietary driver is the nvidia driver, it does support 3D Acceleration); otherwise, you'll probably want to try the Envy route again.
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Well that did it.

Many many thanks for your time!

*glee*

Comment

Working...
          X