This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distribution upgrade from 7.04 to 7.10 hangs on "configuring libgcc1"

I tried to upgrade from 7.04 version to 7.10 using the adept package manager.
    I had kept the machine in the office over the weekend for installation, it had successfully downloaded all the upgrades,
    And when it tried to install them, it was hung on "configuring libgcc1" for a long time.

After that, I closed the upgrade process manually, and rebooted the machine twice.
    Then when I tried to open the adept manager again, it gives me this error.

"Another process is using the packaging system database (probably some other Adept application or apt-get or aptitude). Please close the other application before using this one."

I have no other application running which is locking the package manager.
    I suspect that when I closed the "Distribution Upgrade" manually, it has not released/deleted the corresponding lock file.

After this step I was trying to run "sudo apt-get update" on the command line.
    This step ends with this error.
    "
    Fetched 6B in 4s (1B/s)
    E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
    "

And when I tried "sudo dpkg --configure -a" I get the following error.

darshak@darshak-machine:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
    dpkg: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0006' near line 2 package `libc6':
    `triggers-pendi' is not allowed for third (status) word in `status' field

I have no idea how to move ahead from this step.
    I want to upgrade my distribution to 7.10, and I have all the necessary packages downloaded in my "/var/cache/apt/archives/" which is approx 1.4 GB, which I do not want the apt manager to download again.

Thank you in Advance!

Regards,

Darshak

Re: Distribution upgrade from 7.04 to 7.10 hangs on "configuring libgcc1"

Indeed, i had the same problem.
    It was fixed by aborting the update process and changing my package repositories in Adept.
    In other words, I followed the info here: http://www.kubuntu.org/~jriddell/kubuntu-upgrade/
    Adept crashed 2 times, but eventually that got the job done.
    I guess that the way Adepts manages repositories is changed a while back, and that we both had the old settings.

Anyway, good luck!

Comment

Working...
    X