Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDM won't start after installing nvidia-settings (solved)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDM won't start after installing nvidia-settings (solved)

So I installed nvidia-settings and it wanted to change the driver.. I let it..

now KDM won't load... I've seen KDM not load before and I know there's a simple fix.. but I'm on my currently crippled laptop and can't get a mouse to work with it... (broken) so can someone just show me the answer.. sorry I'd love to search but I it's too painful like this..

Thanks!

Kev

Re: KDM won't start after installing nvidia-settings (solved)

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    allowed me to edit xorg.conf from using "nvidia" as a driver to "nv" which allowed me to start x.

Then I just reinstalled the drivers using restricted manager... of course I loose nvidia-settings this way....

but the thing works.

Kev

Comment

Re: KDM won't start after installing nvidia-settings

Open Konsole and enter the command
      Code:
      wget [url]http://albertomilone.com/ubuntu/nvidia/scripts/ubuntu/envy_0.9.8-0ubuntu8_all.deb[/url]
      When that finishes, run the command
      Code:
      sudo dpkg -i envy_0.9.8-0ubuntu8_all.deb
      You'll probably get some errors if this is the first time you've run Envy (probably about needing certain apps), that's OK; to correct them, enter the command
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install -f
      That should install the dependencies as well as Envy itself. Then, if you're successful, run the command
      Code:
      envy -t
      Choose option "1" to uninstall your old Nvidia driver, but don't reboot if prompted. Then, choose option "2" to install the Nvidia driver. Once that completes, you'll be prompted whether you want Envy to configure xorg.conf for you, choose "yes", but choose "no" when asked whether you want to reboot.

Exit Envy and run the command
      Code:
      sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --composite
      To set your resolution, run the command
      Code:
      kdesu nvidia-settings
      Choose the X Server Display Configuration tab, set your desired resolution, choose the Apply button, and click the Save to X Configuration File (tell it to Merge with existing file. and click the Save button).

That's it! Reboot your computer and you'll be good to go!!!

Note: This will install and run Envy, it will autodetect your video card (if it's either an Nvidia or ATI card) and download and install the appropriate driver.
      Asus G1S-X3:
      Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Re: KDM won't start after installing nvidia-settings (solved)

Thanks for the help integr8e!

LOVE your quote.

Kev

Comment

Working...
        X