This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ku boots Command line?

Whenever I try to boot, and I leave my box to boot auto, it will show the the graphic Ku load screen, but will then go to a command-line screen, asking me for Desktop Login, and password.

The only way I have found is to his 'esc' while Grub is loading and selecting Kubuntu i386 Generic instead of Kubuntu i386

Any thoughts?

Re: Ku boots Command line?

Please? Someone help?

Comment

Have you altered your xorg.conf or video card settings?
      Asus G1S-X3:
      Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Maybe these:

How to get started with no GUI
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085112.0

HOWTO : Repairing xorg.conf
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3082808.0

LinuxLogFiles
        https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LinuxLogFiles
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

I have the same problem, though I think in reverse. On my desktop system, trying to boot the 2.6.22-14-generic kernel leaves me at the shell, but booting the 2.6.22-14-386 kernel gets into KDE fine. I have the same problem on a new Dell laptop (which hasn't had the xorg.conf file manually edited at all), though the -386 version doesn't seem to work there either.

Edit: On the laptop, I get error messages in the X.org.log:

Code:
          (EE) No devices detected.
          Fatal server error:
          no screens found
          Edit 2: I fixed the issue on the laptop. The upgrade set the video driver in xorg.conf to "i810" instead of "intel". I'll have to check my desktop later tonight to see if it's the same type of problem with my nVidia card there.

Comment

Code:
            [code]
            Try this: boot to the normal kernel; when you get the blinking cursor, press Alt+F1 (this should take you to a command line; if Alt+F1 doesn't work, try Ctrl+Alt+F1, and if that still doesn't work, reboot and enter into recovery mode). Enter your username and password if prompted to do so. Then, type the command:
            Code:
            sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
            When prompted about which video driver to choose, choose "nv" if you have an Nvidia card or just "vesa" if you don't. Answer the rest of the questions as best you can, choosing the default answer for anything you're unsure of. When you've done that and are back at the command prompt, type "X" (capitalized) and see if that gives you any screen; if it does, you've successfully reconfigured your video driver to one that is compatible (press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to return to the command line). Then, type the command:
            Code:
            sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start
            to boot to the login screen; if it tells you KDM is already running but doesn't take you to the login screen, type the command:
            Code:
            sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
            and then, the code:
            Code:
            sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start
            again. See if that will allow you to boot into Kubuntu's GUI (Graphical User Interface). We'll worry about getting your proper driver set up after you do this

I'll have to check my desktop later tonight to see if it's the same type of problem with my nVidia card there.
            For your Nvidia card, you may want to try Envy; just download the envy_0.9.8-0ubuntu8_all.deb package to your desktop. Open Konsole and type:
            Code:
            cd ~/Desktop
            followed by:
            Code:
            sudo dpkg -i envy_0.9.8-0ubuntu8_all.deb
            You'll probably get some errors, that's OK and to be expected if this is the first time you've run Envy; after the dpkg run finishes, if you get some errors about not having certain dependencies installed, type the command:
            Code:
            sudo apt-get install -f
            This will install Envy's dependencies followed by Envy itself.

Then, type:
            Code:
            envy -t
            You'll be prompted for your password; choose what I believe to be option "2" to install the nvidia driver (choose option "1" to uninstall it if you've already installed the nvidia driver). When Envy finishes, you'll be prompted as to whether you want Envy to automatically configure xorg.conf for you, choose yes; however, choose no when prompted to reboot your computer (you don't want to do that just yet )

Type the command:
            Code:
            sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --composite
            followed by:
            Code:
            kdesu nvidia-settings
            Choose the "X Server Display Configuration" tab and set your desired resolution; then choose "Save to X Configuration File" (above the "Quit" button) and tell it to "Merge with existing file.". Then reboot and you should be good to go [/code]
            Asus G1S-X3:
            Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Working...
            X