This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox stopped working after Gusty upgrade

After upgrading from feisty to gusty, Firefox and Thunderbird stopped working. Neither will start at all. Konqueror works but I prefer to use Firefox. No thunderbird is a major problem. I don't know if removing then re-installing will kill my bookmarks and saved messages. Any thoughts?

Eric

Re: Firefox stopped working after Gusty upgrade

When you say "stopped working" -- what does Firefox do when you attempt to run it? You might try opening a Konsole window and entering "firefox" -- maybe it will throw some usefull error messages. Does Adept show that it is installed? If not, install it.

For future reference, it's easy to export your Firefox bookmarks to a html file, which you can save in your /home partition, and then retrieve when you're done re-installing or doing other semi-risky things with your OS. Firefox exported bookmarks also import into Iceweasel, as I recently learned.

Comment

If i may say so, if you had it installed the directory which held it should still be there.
      Even if you un-install it, the important stuff gets left.

With Konquorer, go to your Home folder, View-> 'Show hidden files' so that you can see all the directories.

The directory /home/*your name*/.mozilla/firefox/6tsrpfr8.default will contain your bookmarks.html
      May i suggest that you <Copy> it elsewhere for safe-keeping?

Incidentally, Galeon can load the Firefox bookmarks as they are, if you use Epiphany you must <Import> them directly from Firefox, as it cannot handle .html files for bookmarks. It probably gets them from the directory i named.

Comment

Iceweasel can also import Firefox bookmarks.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          Iceweasel can also import Firefox bookmarks.
          .... i haven't got around to trying that one....

.... yet.

Comment

I click on the icon to start either Firefox or Thunderbird it will try to load for about 45 seconds then it will stop trying to load. I'll give the command line a try when I get home. Additionally I'll try to backup the bookmarks and saved email then remove and reinstall. Adept shows them both properly installed.

Comment

Here is the error that Konsole gives for firefox:

Code:
              /usr/lib/firefox/firefox-bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_once_init_enter_impl
              I have also found my e-mail and bookmarks and have put them in a safe place. I used adept to remove firefox and thunderbird then I removed their respective folders. After that I re-installed them with adept to no avail. I did find out that opera is installed so I'm using that now, but I'd like to have firefox back.

Comment

Working...
              X