X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No swap mountpoint

Hi all,

I've recently downloaded the Gutsy version. I'm trying to install it (fresh install), but I'm kinda stuck at the drive partitioning part.
    I wanted to create several partions: boot, swap, root, var, usr & a home partition.
    Suggested a swap of minimal 256Mb.

Unfortunatly, when I'm trying to setup the partitions, the mountpoint " /swap " ain't there.

Any suggestions ?

TIA.
    Acer Aspire 5100<br />Kubuntu Hardy 8.04

Re: No swap mountpoint

Couple of thoughts:

Kubuntu /boot, /var, and /usr don't need their own partitions, unless is something very non-standard in your plans for your system. If you want to have multiple Linuces with their kernels in the same place, you can make /boot a separate partition for that reason, or if you want to run a XFS filesystem format then you have to have /boot on a separate partition -- otherwise it is unnecessary. Only swap has to have a separate partition, and /home is a very good idea to have on its own partition, for protection of your data.

I've never seen the *buntu installer fail to offer "Linux swap" as a filesystem type for a given partition that it sees. So, the question is, does it not see the partition that you made?

The last thought is, you may be looking for something in terms of a "mount point" that doesn't exist. You are not going to see "/swap" like you see "/media" and "/mnt" in the list of mounted directories. It just doesn't work that way. So, make your partitions, follow the "manual installation" process, and when you get to the screen that shows the list of available hard drive partitions, just highlight the one that you made for swap, hit "Enter", and on the next screen highlight the "mount as" and scroll down to "Linux swap" and hit "Enter" and I think it takes you back to the preceding screen, where your selected partition will now say "swap". That's all there really is to it.

Comment

Thanks dible. I just saved my poor finger tips a lot of typing

I have the same suspicion.
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Sorry for all the typing guys....

But it was my mistake :P.

I tried to find a "/swap" mount point and selected for that partition the "ext3" type, when I should have selected just the type "swap" instead of "ext3". :P

But thanks for the info concerning the partitions.

Comment

Sorry for all the typing guys....
          That was a joke. Of course we are happy to help and glad when things work.
          Welcome to the gang
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by v_override

But it was my mistake :P.

I tried to find a "/swap" mount point and selected for that partition the "ext3" type, when I should have selected just the type "swap" instead of "ext3". :P
            Ehhh -- we live, and we learn (some of us, anyway).

Welcome, and I'm glad if it helped a little.

Comment

That was a joke. Of course we are happy to help and glad when things work.
              Welcome to the gang
              You know what the real joke is Fintan ? :P

I've been using Kubuntu since Dapper.....and this wasn't my first fresh install.

I guess my mind went "a wire" and I was too hasty to post another problem on the site.

Comment

That sounds more like a tragic-comedy

But rest assured you are not alone. I know out of my own experience
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                X