Please Help !! Need Advice for Gutsy

I have been having trouble installing Kubuntu GG on my Laptop :

HP TX 1138
    Amd Turion 64 x2 processor
    1 gb RAM
    20 gb partition on HDD for linux
    Nividia Graphics
    Pheonix Bios

I've tried using the downloadable cd but in either the normal installation mode or the safe graphics mode i get past loading the kernel but then when it seems i should be ready to go , im just left with a blank screen. Im a bit of a nube with linux i must admit but is there something im doing wrong ?? Or is there a compatability issue ??

Any Suggestions ??

Re: Please Help !! Need Advice for Gutsy

Hi,

Are you using your Laptop attached to a External Monitor by any chance as I have the same problem, if attached to a Monitor (it seems to be a problem with Gutsy as it works fine with Feisty), if you are new to Linux I would try Feisty as at the moment it seems to have less problems (for me at any rate)
    Primary OS: Kubuntu Feisty Fawn, Secondary: WinXP Pro (Games Only)<br />Intel Core Duo 1.66 GHz, 2GB RAM<br />ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 256MB<br />15&quot; Widescreen Display (1280x800)<br />Pro/Wireless Network Card connecting to US Robotics 1908A Router<br />

Comment

I recommend the Alternate Install CD -- the "AMD 64" version, in your case. Burn the ISO image at no more than 4X speed.

Depending on how far you actually got with the installation, if you made it to the "remove CD and reboot" screen, you may have a video problem that can be dealt with as follows:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085112.0

Gutsy 64-bit is working fine for me -- some folks have had issues upgrading from Feisty, and I'm aware of a sound issue with the ATI SIS400 chip, but I'd start by installing Gutsy, before going back to Feisty, and only do that if you have to.

Comment

Maybe you could try pressing and holding a key. I know it's stupid but that worked for me. I don't know whats going on with kubuntu, but in my case, I had to press and hold a key for the installation to work. weird huh?

Comment

I know you get a black screen, but do you hear the KDE startup sound? If so, try CTRL-ALT-"minus key (number pad)". That will change your screen resolution. If you get a picture after that, then yes Kubuntu is "mis-interpreting" your system and displaying at the wrong resolution/frequency. I have that problem on my Dell Dim. 8300 with Nvidia 5200 display card when booting from CD.

Comment

Working...
          X