This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved - Grub Error 18 after install

After installing Kubuntu, I had a problem with xconf.org detailed in another thread, that a dpkg-reconfigure resolved.

I now get a GRUB error 16.

The only way I can access the system is via the 2.6.20-16-386 modes.

The 2.6.20-16-386 versions (all of them) give me an "Inconsistent file system"

Thoughts?

Re: Grub Error 18 after install

When you installed Gutsy on a (presumed) existing partition, did you use a different filesystem format than was previously used on that same partition? I ask this because if one of your previous installations was looking for "ntfs" or "ext3" and you happened to install Gutsy with reiserfs, that would definitely screw up the older system's /etc/fstab "version" of your filesystem table.

Or, if you changed the partitioning scheme by adding or deleting partitions, in conjunction with the later installation of Gutsy, that would also confuse the earlier systems.

Comment

yes, what dibl said, and/or the filesystem got corrupted somehow.

16 : Inconsistent filesystem structure
      This error is returned by the filesystem code to denote an internal error caused
      by the sanity checks of the filesystem structure on disk not matching what it
      expects. This is usually caused by a corrupt filesystem or bugs in the code
      handling it in GRUB.
      (GRUB Manual)
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I did the upgrade from Feisty.

Note that I can still get in via 2.6.20-16-386 which implies an issue with the later version.

For the record, I've not done any fiddling with the file systems / Partitioning and my Windows XP dual boots just fine.

Comment

Back to the top (I hope)

Anyone?

Comment

You could try to restore GRUB using Super Grub Disk.

Super Grub Disk, new site: http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/

I'm still wondering about what dibl & I noted about possible corruption, but you have a good point, too.

Bigpond has a tutorial on using SGD:
            Bigpond, home: http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/
            (Probably on the GRUB page there)
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Solved - Grub Error 18 after install

To resolve this I did a Windows chkdsk on all the NTFS drives on the system.

This has led to a new issue - the system can't use the NTFS drives, for which I've raised a new thread.

Comment

Working...
              X