This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kde feels sluggish in gusty

I just upgraded to Gusty, and KDE feels sluggish... not sure how to trace the problem back

For example, whenever Kontact is opening, it seems to take a long time to draw itself onto the screen, and I feel the same delays in Konqueror too

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how did you resolve it?

Thanks!

Re: kde feels sluggish in gusty

Everything seems snappier than Feisty to me. If you have a Nvidia card, maybe you don't have the accelerated driver installed?
    AMD Sempron 2800 | 1 GB | Geforce 4 Ti 4200 | Kubuntu 8.04

Comment

This won't help, but my Gutsy seems to feel a lot snappier as well. As a matter of fact, every *buntu release since I started using it (at Hoary) has seemed a little brighter than the last one.

As I say, not help to you, but some input nonetheless.
      I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

I noticed this after upgrading from Feisty. As it turned out, Xgl was running but compiz wasn't; the result is a very slow-acting KDE. If you have Xgl installed, Gutsy will automatically start it when you log in to KDE, but will not start compiz by default.

You have a few options, if this is the case. First, if you don't plan to use compiz (for a while anyway), just uninstall Xgl:

$ sudo apt-get remove xserver-xgl

You definitely need to log out and may also need to restart X after you do this, but I can't remember for sure; just log out, and when the login screen comes back, press <Ctrl><Alt><Backspace> to be sure and kill the X server. The login screen will come back again; log in and you should have a much faster KDE.

On the other hand, if it says xserver-xgl wasn't installed, then stop now, you're having some other problem.

Lastly, if you have Xgl installed because you plan to use compiz, get compiz working, and KDE will speed right up after it starts.

There's also a way to tell xserver-xgl not to automatically start without actually uninstalling it, but I forget exactly how; it's easy enough just to uninstall it if you don't plan to get compiz working just yet.

Comment

that did it!! Thanks!!

Ya, Gusty feels much snappier now

Comment

Worked for me as well...THANKS. Now I just need to figure out why my hard disk light won't go out...

Comment

I think a lot has to do w/ 3.5.8 - VERY snappy on my Kubuntu lappy and my Debian (sid) desktop.

The KDE team did a really good job w/ this revision, especially considering all the hype/work going on around KDE 4

Comment

Originally posted by jayson.rowe
                The KDE team did a really good job w/ this revision, especially considering all the hype/work going on around KDE 4
                Second that. It's fast and slick. I've loved KDE for a long time, but I can't remember being happier with a release.

Added with the new kernel (which boots up and shuts down faster than any Ubuntu I've used), my cheap 1.5GHz notebook flies faster now than it did when I bought it 14 months ago. 8)

Comment

Originally posted by tlyons
                  Originally posted by jayson.rowe
                  Second that. It's fast and slick. I've loved KDE for a long time, but I can't remember being happier with a release.

Added with the new kernel (which boots up and shuts down faster than any Ubuntu I've used), my cheap 1.5GHz notebook flies faster now than it did when I bought it 14 months ago. 8)

I'm on a 1.3GHz Pentium-M Centrino myself for my notebook (AMDx2 64 Desktop though, but it's running Debian "Unstable" - also on 3.5.8)...

Comment

Working...
                  X