This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fiesty to Gutsy upgrade fails

Process does not complete as it is unable to download a few "wine lowvoice" files. Not sure what this is. I deleted the wine program but no no change. This was the error:

Failed to fetch http://wine.lowvoice.nl/apt/dists/feisty/Release.gpg Could not resolve 'wine.lowvoice.nl'
    Failed to fetch http://wine.lowvoice.nl/apt/dists/fe...tion-en_CA.bz2 Could not resolve 'wine.lowvoice.nl'
    Failed to fetch http://wine.lowvoice.nl/apt/dists/fe...86/Packages.gz Could not resolve 'wine.lowvoice.nl'
    0%
    0%

Re: Fiesty to Gutsy upgrade fails

My friend had a lot of problem with the updating. Only a reinstall helped...ehh... :s

Comment

The error means that those wine repositories are not (yet) supported or open.

The solution is to delete them or add a check (#) mark to those lines in the file /etc/apt/sources.list

The way I do this is to use the vim or vi command in a terminal as root like this -

peter@Camelot:~$ sudo vi /etc/apt/sources.list

But you can use any editor you like, just get rid of the wine repos and start the upgrade again.

Comment

Yes, and then it gets to the next error and the next error. I have 3 pc's. One, a desktop, was a new dell vostro. I just got it when Gutsy RC came out. It installed from scratch with a few hitches but upgrade failed. Had to reinstall from scratch. Second is an Acer 3613 laptop. I had been running the last beta to which I was able to upgrade easily, but when I tried to upgrade to the full release, same error as above, when I finally tried it will almost all of the repositories shut off, it still got to a stage in the install where it quit. Had to exit the install and ignore a stern warning that it was bad to interrupt the dead install. Not much choice, as it was not going forward. It seems to be working ok, but it is going to need a fresh install. My main desktop. also a dell 32bit, left me the same way. It was running 7.04, the release version. With my main pc, I didn't want to experiment. It gave me the same problems when trying to upgrade. Now I guess I have to do a fresh install. I wish I had waited to find out the upgrade is flaky.

So for me, 3 out of 3 experiences say don't try the upgrade unless you are ok with the likelihood of having to do a full install to clean up after it when it cacks.

Sad time with an otherwise brilliant distro.

Ken

Comment

If you either uninstall Automatrix or turn off the repository search within Automatrix your problem will go away. Worked for me..

Ollie :P

Comment

Working...
          X