This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install Hang

I'm posting right now from the LiveCD the kubuntu install keeps hanging. I've tried 3 times already, I have to forcefully shutoff my computer because the installer keeps hanging

It just stops at "configuring apt" 82% No disc activity on the CD or harddisk at all, it just sits there, really annoying.

Re: Install Hang

These "install freezes at xx%" problems seem to always end up being a bad CD burn or a problematical blank CD media.

If you didn't already do it, verify the md5sum on your downloaded ISO file, then burn a new CD and make sure to set the burn speed to 4X. If that doesn't work (if install hangs again), try burning on a different blank CD media brand, and if that doesn't work .... find a friend with a good burner, I guess. :P

Comment

exact same issue here. 82% hang. checking apt. checking mirror is what it says, i am thinking perhaps server overload?

Comment

Originally posted by EMoShunz

perhaps server overload?
        That's entirely possible -- I forgot about the date when I responded before.

Comment

Same problem with install stalling on "scanning mirror" here in Canberra Australia.

I assume the install program would scan a local mirror. I'm thinking it is possible that not all of the distro files are in place on some of the mirrors yet.

PS I ran the "check disk integrity" routine when first booted the live cd and it said all was well so assume the CD is ok.

EDIT: after an eternity the install routine did complete ... about to reboot and discover if all is well .....

Comment

Ah nuts I forgot today was the 18th

Comment

Originally posted by tonywhelan
              EDIT: after an eternity the install routine did complete ... about to reboot and discover if all is well .....
              Confirmed, I tried again from scratch, waited about an hour and it finished up...must just be overload due to the new release.

Comment

I'm not going to have time to reinstall tomarrow, so I'm trying again now, still hanging, hopefully it doesn't take too long.

Comment

damnit, it finally installed but none of the repos are really working right, The prprietary drivers repo and the main oss one weren't even enabled. I can't install my nvidia drivers so my resolution is all messed up.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47
                    I can't install my nvidia drivers so my resolution is all messed up.
                    Try Envy:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3086232.0

Note the little tweak to Envy (for Gutsy) required before you run it.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47
                      damnit, it finally installed but none of the repos are really working right, The prprietary drivers repo and the main oss one weren't even enabled. I can't install my nvidia drivers so my resolution is all messed up.
                      all i can say is patience. i did get my nvidia drivers, but it took more then 10 times what it should to d/l. new release...new server strain.

Comment

I switched to the tds.net us server and everything si fine now main server and the default us one were useless.

Comment

Working...
                        X