Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] Upgrade from Feisty failed, help!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Upgrade from Feisty failed, help!

Hi! I tried to upgrade from Feisty to Gutsy by the instructions on kubuntu.org. The download was over 1GB so I left it to work over the night (my connection is 1MB but in practice around 500k. When I returned to my computer, there was an error message (unfortunately I don't remember any more which) but I continued hoping that it would not do anything harm. However, the installation froze so I had to kill it. I remember that it had downloaded everything and the error was in the next stage.

I tried to do the upgrade again, but Adept Manager refuses to start, it says that conversation with su failed. [edit begin:] I guess I was trying to run adept_manager from konsole, because I tried to start Adept Manager again, and now it says

"Database Locked - Another process is using the packaging system database (probably some other Adept application or apt-get or aptitude).
    Would you like to attempt to resolve this problem? No will enter read-only mode and Cancel to quit and resolve this issue yourself."

but answering yes only crashes the program.
    [edit end]

I really need some advice on how to go on. I really hope that there is a way to continue the upgrade but if that is lost I hope that at least I wouldn't have to do a new install since I have installed a few GB's worth of programs and I wouldn't want to go through it again.

Now is your (the community's) chance to prove that linux is a superior system to windows, I am quite inexperienced with linux but am willing to make the change, that is why I installed so many programs, I really hope to get independent of windows.

I don't have any partitions, it is all on the same / partition (by the way, I asked on the newbies forum about folder "/old" since it is not mentioned in the root directory structure, is my Kubuntu making a "mirror" copy of my system or what? I couldn't get a satisfactory answer there, maybe here somebody can tell me where it came from) but according to my logic even if I had to recompile the kernel (not reinstall) shouldn't my program folders remain intact?

I apologize for the unclarity of my message but hope that the community can make something out of it and that I get to continue being a linux user, until the solution I'm afraid I have to return to the memory&resources hog Vista...

Thank you already in advance for your help!

Re: Upgrade from Feisty failed, help!

Eighteen months ago I had a similar dilemma

Just started out on Linux,trying to 'use' it on a single partition. I even set up a logical partition so I could have a seperate ./home.

Eventually I came to the conclusion that I was using Linux more than I was XP, so I bit the bullet and trashed XP completely. The only program I missed was my sat.nav. updater.

Go on, you know you want to

eddie

Comment

I had problems upgrading via the alternate install disc, and ended up having to re-install after i had a 7.10 desktop cd burnt for me, but don't despair -- someone will pop in shortly with the correct commands to reset apt-get, apt-update, and apt-install, etc. .... i'm too new to dare tell you what to do.

As a taster.... i've found that the system now boots faster than XP ever did, and shuts down in about 15 - 20 seconds - i won't be going back to XP now.

Edited to add: I meant to reply to Post No. 1 .... never mind, i get confused easily.

Comment

Try doing the following:-

Close all windows that have anything to do with installing packages, open your Konsole, and enter
        sudo dpkg --configure -a
        then, one at a time
        sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get install
        sudo apt-get autoclean
        sudo apt-get -f install
        sudo apt-setup

This should get you going.
        I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Close all windows that have anything to do with installing packages, open your Konsole, and enter
          sudo dpkg --configure -a
          then, one at a time
          sudo apt-get update
          sudo apt-get install
          sudo apt-get autoclean
          sudo apt-get -f install
          sudo apt-setup

Thanks, it seems to go well but is the last line correct because my system doesn't recognise it?

Comment

No, don't worry about that one. (I cheated and copied someone elses reply to a similar problem).

I'm pleased the rest got you going, though.
            I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

I had to do the same thing with a system I recently upgraded; I'm new to Linux and have only upgraded two computers once each, mine and somebody else's. I was afraid I was going to have to reinstall, but followed the instructions I've been taught pertaining to fixing broken installations (i.e. pretty much the list above, minus the "sudo apt-setup" command and not in that exact order) and am very relieved to say that it worked. I am very glad Linux (Kubuntu) has multiple methods by which to accomplish the same task, even upgrading to the newest release; had that occurred with Window$ . . . it'd be a different story.
              Asus G1S-X3:
              Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Great! Now I'm a happy Gutsy user. Thanks for everybody for tips and support! Could somebody tell me about the other "problem", the "/old" folder which is not that much of a problem, more like a hard disk space hog.

I cannot find the solution by search engines because they (at least Google) don't recognize the "/". At the moment the folder takes 2.2GB so I would like the know if it is necessary, since the official documentation does not mention about it. I also have the initd.img.old and vmlinuz.old files in the root.

Comment

What is the size of your hard drive, piete? Does 2G matter that much? Sometimes it is just as well to leave well enough alone.

Comment

My linux partition is 30GB, and I have some 13GB free so it does matter a bit.

Nevertheless, I would like to know what it is. If it is something the system has set up for recovery (equivalent to the HP recovery partition of 10GB for Vista) I will gladly keep it. The problem is that I have not found any documentation about it.

Now that I am learning to use linux I would also like to know what my system does, isn't the idea of linux that you are in full control (at least if you want so)? With closed-source Windows you have to be an expert of assembly language in order to know everything your system does, with linux I should be able to at least have an access to the source code of everything, although my C skills are not that good _yet_.

Comment

From the start, may I say this is not a RTFM reply.

However, have a bit of a read of this

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index

and this

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=63315

It all applies to Kubuntu as well.

You should find it helpful.

Comment

Thanks, Lowey. I found a reference to /old in http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome, but it was about moving /home directory. I cannot check now because I'm at work, but as I remember, my /old directory has all the directories of / (that is, /old/bin, /old/usr, /old/home etc.). And I will read through it all although I'm not completely new to linux, I have been experimenting with various distributions since 2004.

I will look into the "/old" more carefully. Now my other root directories should be way over 2.2GB, so it seems that /old has stopped the copying at some point. But I should not go too much into speculation, I just would like to know if others have it. Do you think this question should have a separate thread, now that the original case is closed? BTW, is there a way to close the thread or change the title to mark the problem solved?

Comment

I think(?) that you can edit your original post and change the title. I'm not sure, though, but there is a way to do it. One of our experts will explain it to you, I am sure. (Probably not dibl, though, because judging by the way he has aged in his photo I'm not sure he'll be able to remember anything)

Comment

Originally posted by Lowey
                            I think(?) that you can edit your original post and change the title.
                            I think you just click "modify" on your original post, and then edit the subject to add a prefix "[SOLVED]"

(Probably not dibl, though, because judging by the way he has aged in his photo I'm not sure he'll be able to remember anything)
                            I just celebrated one year using Kubuntu Linux -- look what it's done to me!

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Upgrade from Feisty failed, help!

Thanks again for prompt help! One more question: which subforum would be best for the topic on "/old"? No-one has still commented if they have it or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X