This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gutsy upgrade no good

I've been running Gutsy for a while now. This morning I did an update and rebooted to a command prompt.

Tried to start kdm, but it didn't exist - seemed to have been uninstalled?
    I installed it and when the splash screen came up I had an error

"can't find /usr/share/kdm/themes/kubuntu"
    The only thing in ../themes was 'circles' - so I moved circles to kubuntu, that got rid of the error, but before and still after when I log in I have no toolbar etc... just cmd box, where I'll have to type 'firefox' in order to come on here. Tried reinstalling nvidia-glx-new to no avail. Any help on what to do in order to get back to normal?

Re: Gutsy upgrade no good

Yeah -- I think I know what happened -- look this thread:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3087359.0

I think you clicked "apply" and had all your key kde packages stripped out of your system.

Once you get over some righteous indignation which you are well entitled to, get to the CLI and try this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    I'll cross my fingers.

Comment

I wouldn't have believed that possible! I would have expected a loud siren to go off, or at the very least a warning box!

kubuntu-desktop was indeed not there, but installing it still leaves me with no useable desktop, anymoe packages I can stick back in place, or is it a reinstall?

Comment

Drat!

Well, I'd look at it like this: Reinstalling Kubuntu is a known amount of time and work, and has a very high probability of putting you back in business at the end of the process.

On the other hand, trolling through the list of kde and kde-related packages, and trying to figure out which ones you used to have that don't have any more, and installing them one at a time trying to get your desktop back together is kind of a hit-or-miss proposition -- eventually you should end up with it back the way it was, but it's hard to tell how long that might take -- could be 15 minutes, or tomorrow. :P

If it were me, I think I'd just reinstall and be done with it.

Comment

I issued 'startkde' from the console:

It started the process of loading the desktop (the splash screen part) - My desktop then came back on, but then disappeared to login screen after a few seconds?

Comment

There's a hidden file -- can't remember the exact name, something like .kdestartconfig, that is probably not finding all the kde settings and packages that you used to have. :P

Comment

Working...
            X