This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gutsy--sort of--installed. Good thing it's a test machine

The upgrade stopped part way through. It reported a problem with tzdata and then quit. Adept shows that util-linux-locales is installed but broken.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the broken package using apt-get and that failed. It told me to try "apt-get -f install" with no packages. That failed too it said that there was an error processing "dpkg (--configure) that returned exit status 10"

the error happened while processing tzdata

The system still boots, but it looks a lot like I'm still running feisty. I haven't tried much so I don't know what all is broken

Re: Gutsy--sort of--installed. Good thing it's a test machine

You might try
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    I had some issues yesterday, and that seemed to fix it.

Comment

That seemed such a fine simple idea...so I tried it. Nope. I received the following error message:

^[[Anorman@norman-laptop:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
      [sudo] password for norman:
      Setting up tzdata (2007f-3ubuntu1) ...
      dpkg: error processing tzdata (--configure):
      subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10
      Errors were encountered while processing:
      tzdata
      norman@norman-laptop:~$

Sincerely hoping for suggestions.
      NTP

Comment

Hmmmmmmmm. That is a time zone package - I think it is a Java app, maybe. So, we have learned you do have a problem with your package management system. Not a good thing.

Here's what I found:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...es/+bug/123366

You're not a Kiwi, are you?

Also: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/tzupdat...31_README.html

I dunno -- this is the type of issue that could just "go away" as Gutsy matures for release in 10 days. It's not fatal at the moment, but you can't run *buntu forever with a broken package manager, so I'd say just live with it for a couple of weeks and see if it is taken care of automatically. Keep trying to run your Gutsy updates. Sorry I can't give you a more elegant solution.

EDIT: One more thing to try:

Code:
        sudo apt-get -f upgrade

Comment

Just as a matter of interest, if you want to see which version of Kubuntu you are running, type (in Konsole)

lsb_release -a

At least you will know if you are in Feisty or Gutsy.

And dibl, don't be picking on the Kiwis. That's a job for us Aussies.
          I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Originally posted by Lowey
            Just as a matter of interest, if you want to see which version of Kubuntu you are running, type (in Konsole)

lsb_release -a
            or
            Code:
            uname -a

And dibl, don't be picking on the Kiwis. That's a job for us Aussies.
            and a hard duty it must be -- you can keep the job!

Comment

and a hard duty it must be -- you can keep the job!

I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

I also struggled with the Gutsy update. The installer failed several times but it did manage to get all the files and changed the sources.list. After I saw this I just kept apt-get update then apt-get upgrade. Occasionally a dpkg -configure -a and also apt-get install -fix-broken.

I mostly used synaptic to get everything down and installed and it's been updating ever since. Everytime I look there is another update to come down. The system seems stable so I will carry on.

eriefisher
                ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Originally posted by eriefisher
                  Everytime I look there is another update to come down. The system seems stable so I will carry on.
                  It does seem to have settled down a lot in past 2 or 3 days. (I'm crossing my fingers and touching wood now ...). 8)

Comment

I came back to clarify I have precisely the same error message. Plus I now have 470 upgrade packages which will not install. Uh, how do I get rid of those?
                    NTP

Originally posted by bturrie
                    The upgrade stopped part way through. It reported a problem with tzdata and then quit. Adept shows that util-linux-locales is installed but broken.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the broken package using apt-get and that failed. It told me to try "apt-get -f install" with no packages. That failed too it said that there was an error processing "dpkg (--configure) that returned exit status 10"

the error happened while processing tzdata

The system still boots, but it looks a lot like I'm still running feisty. I haven't tried much so I don't know what all is broken

Comment

Working...
                    X