This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grub didn't find WinXP (solved)

So I just installed Tribe 5 on my laptop but Grub ignored WinXP (which I require for my wife's mp3 player... ugh).

Is there a way I can manually config it? I've NEVER touched Grub before other than to repair the mbr to get rid of it.

Thanks,
    Kev

Re: Grub didn't find WinXP

What you need to edit is:

/boot/grub/menu.lst

Before you do I would back it up:

sudo cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst.bak

I would also do a quick search for Qmike's grub how to's here in the forums. They should tell you what and where to put you windows entry. If your not sure post back before you edit.
    ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Will give this a try this evening. Thanks

Kev

Comment

I've been using Tribe 5 as my sole OS since it's release....I've had a couple of update glitches, but nothing some quick CLI work didn't fix, so I would call it "close enough for rock and roll".

Really loving how it is shaping up....

Comment

which I require for my wife's mp3 player
          Why not use amarok?? It is a milion times better than anyting win has come up with.

Mount the partition the mp3's are on and point amarok to them.
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

It's an interface thing with the mp3 player.. linux just plain doesn't see the thing...

http://www.samsung.ca/k3/

I'd love to ditch XP all together..

I haven't had enough time to fix this yet... I will post if the fix suggested works if I manage to find the time...

Kev

Comment

Check this post. Yes, it's on a Gentoo forum, but the reply refers to the solution working in Ubuntu also. Might be helpful.
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Wifey had previously said "no way" to the Korean firmware.. but it has folder browsing in it now... that seems to have her sold on the idea. Seeing as she's got 4 Gigs of space and she has to SCROLL through every single mp3 on the thing to get to the one she wants... why would anyone design a audio player like that

We may give that a try.

Kev

Comment

Originally posted by Bongo5HH
                  So I just installed Tribe 5 on my laptop but Grub ignored WinXP (which I require for my wife's mp3 player... ugh).

Is there a way I can manually config it? I've NEVER touched Grub before other than to repair the mbr to get rid of it.

Thanks,
                  Kev
                  I hope you have been able to get Windows back again. If you haven't, here is what I do. I have had to do this a number of times as each time I reinstall gutsy it does not add the Windows partition. My approach is to
                  Code:
                  cd /boot/grub
                  sudo nano menu.lst
                  In this file you will find an example of what to do to add windows, ie
                  Code:
                  # examples
                  #
                  # title		Windows 95/98/NT/2000
                  # root		(hd0,0)
                  # makeactive
                  # chainloader	+1
                  I just copy this to the end of the file and remove the comment and change the title to suite the windows distribution and then save it. I hope this is useful for those in similar trouble.

Comment

This has allowed me to get into WinXP on my laptop!

Thanks!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X