This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a difference a tribe makes

I have been using kubuntu and ubuntu tribe 3 for well ... since it's appearance.

So I figured the tribe 4 live cd should be some fun. It was. I did the usual routine. Download, burn at 4x and reboot. The kubuntu live cd starts out nicely with the usual bar going from left to right then it stops with a black screen and a little cursor up left.

Alt+F2 gives me something like "cannot resolve 600x480" or something to that stupid extent. So I do ctrl+alt+del and instead of rebooting it boots up in all its glory. I could not repeat this so I trashed the Kubuntu version and tried the ubuntu live tribe 4. Same sh... but instead of booting at ctrl+alt+del it actually did reboot. So I got myself the alt ubuntu tribe 4 cd and tried to install ubuntu tribe 4 on a new partition. This went fine up until the part after the basic installation was finished and it would normally download and install my language (ch-de) packages. At this point all I get was a nice blue screen staring at me for about 30 minutes :P until I finally gave in and did a hard reboot. >

So my question is how does one test something that is not testable? And yes I know this is alpha and so what?

I mean it is not my first live cd and certainly not the first time I have installed *ubuntu.

My hardware is run of the mill P4, ati 9250 pro, 180GIG HD on which all my other linuxes (mint kde cassandra (Feisty), gutsy tribe 3 kubuntu, pclinuxos2007) live happily.

Bthw my burner and cd's are fine and work with everything else(music, files, movies).

I get the feeling that something is inherently wrong with the speed of these tribe releases if it doesn't even boot or install. maybe just a bit more viligence would be apropriate. I mean a lot of press does not make....
    I think you get the jist.

So anyway I am off to a nice weekend and hope all of you are as well
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Re: What a difference a tribe makes

Ah, the 'tribe' and tribulations of Linux!
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I sometimes wonder what exactly makes kubuntu behave so differently on various hardware. I am beginning to think that my main machine, in spite of the X1600 card was "made" for kubuntu. It ran Herd 5 of Feisty very smoothly, then Feisty stable, then Tribe 3 and 4 (ah well, without acroread and crippled opera, but everything else working as it should). On my secondary machine and laptop any kubuntu install ended in ruin.

Comment

Originally posted by musta ruhtinas
        I sometimes wonder what exactly makes kubuntu behave so differently on various hardware.
        One needs to keep in mind, that hardware is developed by companies who do so to make a profit. And, many may opt to either develop or purchase proprietary hardware and/or ROMs in the process. This makes it practically impossible to have any open-source OS written that will work on all hardware 'out of the box.'
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X